Set Current Location
Agios Eleftherios Church, also known as Mikri Mitropoli, is a Byzantine church situated in the Mitropolis Square in the city of Athens. It lies very close to the Metropolitan Cathedral of Athens. It was built in the beginning of the 13th Century, by the command of the bishop of Athens, Michael Choniates. The building is made entirely with white marbles and has a lovely dome. There are ornate carvings made on the frieze and it definitely induces a sense of aesthetic pleasure.
As in the case of David and Goliath, the humble Byzantine church standing beside the large Metropolis Cathedral has much more historical value than its neighbor. It was built in the 12th century, on the ruins of an ancient temple of Isis-Eileithyia. The temple and other ancient buildings served as a source of building material when the church was constructed. This explains why the walls incorporate many marble murals, such as one dating back to the 4th Century BCE showing the symbols of the twelve months. The Panagia Gorgoepikoos (all-hearing) is dedicated to the Madonna and Agios Eleftherios.
Tiny, yet noteworthy Byzantine church in the pedestrian zone.
This 11th-century edifice is among the oldest churches in the city. The Church of Panaghia Kapnikarea also just known as Kapnikarea is a beautiful example of Byzantine architecture and was erected on the ruins of a pagan temple. Though it is smaller in size, its complex four-pillar pattern and interiors are indeed worth a look. Its kufic brick design, domed chapel and mosaic paintings are well preserved. It is now owned by the University of Athens.
One of the most unusual landmarks of the old town of Plaka is a cyclical marble tower constructed in the 4th Century BCE. On top of the tower stood a bronze tripod awarded by the city to the Maecenas Lysicrates, who sponsored the winning performance of a musical competition held in 334 BCE. The frieze above the inscription depicts the god Dionysos petting a panther in the company of satyrs who are pouring him wine. The monument, also called the "Lantern of Diogenes", was later used as a library, when it became part of a Catholic monastery in 1669.
One of the most interesting sights of Roman Agora, in Plaka, is the Tower of the Winds. This unusual marble tower (which served as a water clock) was built by an astronomer in the 1st Century BCE. On each of its eight sides is a depiction of a directional wind. The tower was a part of the Roman marketplace which incorporated buildings with a spacious courtyard that also dates back to 1st Century BCE. It is flanked by two gates east and west of the market. A 15th-century mosque can also be seen on the site.
The tower owes its name to the artistic reliefs depicting the eight wind deities.
The mosque overlooking Monastiraki Square was built in 1759 under Ottoman rule. After the liberation of Athens, it was transformed into a museum, where a collection of traditional Greek handicrafts was exhibited. Nowadays, the Tzami, as it is known by the Athenians, houses the Pottery Collection of the Museum of Greek Folk Art. The collection, donated by V. Kyriazopoulos, consists of splendid works by contemporary artists but also includes everyday ceramic objects, as well as tourist souvenirs.