Set Current Location
|Apr to Sep - Monday to Sunday||09:30 AM to 06:00 PM|
|Oct to Mar - Monday to Saturday||09:30 AM to 05:30 PM|
Designed by Edwin Lutyens (one of the most significant architects of the twentieth century), these simple but dignified gardens commemorate the 49,000 Irish soldiers who lost their lives in the First World War. The central garden consists of a lawn enclosed by a high limestone wall with granite piers. At either end are two book rooms (also done out in granite) which hold the names of all the dead soldiers. Visitors can view the shrine upon application to the administration. A pair of sunken rose gardens flanks this central lawn and the park slopes down to a tranquil stretch of the River Liffey. This stretch of the river is used by rowers from the local universities and is a calm and pretty spot on a bright day. Call for timings. Admission is free.
Placed within Phoenix Park, the Wellington Monument stands tall at a height of 62 metres (203 feet) in honor of Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington and his victories. The construction of this monument began in 1817, however due to shortage of funds the monument was only completed in 1861 and remains the tallest obelisk in Europe. The monument was designed by Sir Robert Smirke and features four bronze plaques, three of which depict his career while the fourth bears an inscription. The bronze for these plaques was procured from cannons captured at Waterloo and three of the plaques have been sculpted by artists John Hogan, Thomas Farrell and Joseph Robinson Kirk.
The Anna Livia is a bronze sculpture that used to grace the O'Connell Street. Created by Éamonn O'Doherty, it is an embodiment of the River Liffey. It denotes a young woman sitting as water flows beside her. It was removed from the O'Connell Street to make way for the Dublin's Spire. Today, it has been reinstalled in the Croppies Memorial Park.
Measuring just under 1,800 acres, Phoenix Park is the largest city park in Europe. The great green expanse in the west of the city is a mixture of wilderness and formal landscape gardens. It offers a variety of recreational activities such as Gaelic football, polo and cricket. A towering Papal Cross marks the visit of Pope John Paul II, back in 1979. Also enclosed within the park's boundaries are a Visitors' Centre, Ashtown Castle, Dublin Zoo, Aras an Uachtarain (the official residence of the President of Ireland) and the Residence of the United States' Ambassador. Phoenix Park also has a bird sanctuary and a herd of fallow deer as well as boasting an impressive diversity of plantlife.
If you enjoy a beer more than anything in the world, then a trip to St. James' Gate Brewery is a must for you. Also known as the Guinness Brewery, it’s where the world-renowned Guinness originated, and the brewery has been producing this magic ale ever since. The Guinness Storehouse located in it also houses an exhibition of the history of this drink. When you are here, don’t forget to buy a bottle of Guinness Draught from a freshly prepared batch. It could also be a great souvenir for family and friends back home. One of the largest stout brewery in the world, St. James Gate Brewery should be on the list of everyone who loves a good mug of strong beer.
To many, Guinness is one of the most important features of Ireland. Completed at the cost of IR£30 million, the Guinness Storehouse is a fine addition to Dublin's ever-growing list of purpose-built attractions. Set inside a converted 18th century fermentation building, it comprises of six floors linked by a giant atrium in the shape of a pint glass. Although the actual brewery is not open to the public, the storehouse's new exhibition space outlines the 200-year history of the company and reveals many brewing secrets. The models and displays of the exhibition are followed by a short film and a glass of the famous brew! The storehouse is also home to the stylish Gravity Bar. Hours of operations vary seasonally.
This church was designed by Edward Welby Pugin and first officially opened in 1874. The church was/is modeled after 13th Century French Gothic designs. It contains a number of memorable design features, most notably the white Carrara marble altar and the shrine to Our Lady of Good Counsel. The church also features some magnificent stained glass windows.
This bridge is named after the Dublin author James Joyce, whose story 'The Dead' is set in a house facing the bridge. Santiago Calatrava is the mind behind this project. The bridge allows ships to go upriver. It also allows road access from Blackhall Place to Usher's Island.