Set Current Location
|Jan to Dec - Monday to Saturday||10:30 AM to 04:30 PM|
The final resting place of many famous Scots, Greyfriars Kirkyard is a graveyard surrounding Greyfriars Kirk in Old Town. The burials here date back to 16th century and origins of Covenanters’ Prison and the Martyrs’ Monument can be traced back to 17th century. At the entrance you will notice Bobby's headstone marking the the loyal dog who guarded his master's grave. Locals and visitors have reported hauntings like the spirit of Bloody George Mackenzie who was buried here in 1691. Even more interestingly, a number of people have died in the Kirkyard itself.
It is nearly impossible to miss the lifelike statue of Greyfriars Bobby, the famous dog, if you're passing down Candlemaker Row. Created by William Brodie in 1872, this statue stands to tell the story of Bobby. Bobby belonged to John Gray, a night watchman and the two were inseparable for approximately two years until John's death on 8 February 1858. He was buried in Greyfriars Kirkyard of Old Town. Bobby, who outlived Gray by fourteen years, is said to have spent the rest of his life guarding his master's grave. In 1872, when Bobby died he was buried inside the gate of the Kirkyard close to John and to this day people from all over flock to this place to remember the dog who became famous for his undying loyalty.
The Augustine Church Centre is part of Augustine United Church Edinburgh. The center has played host to several gatherings like meetings, social celebrations, music and other similar gatherings. The ample sitting place and modern technology has made the Augustine Church Centre an even more popular venue to hold major community celebrations.
George Heriot's School is one of Edinburgh's most respected private educational establishments, and is housed in a splendid building dating from 1628. It was endowed by George Heriot, the goldsmith and jeweler to James VI - the jingling Geordie of Sir Walter Scott's novel Fortunes of Nigel. Huge octagonal chimneys rise from this former hospital building; one of many fine architectural features included in the heady mixture of Gothic, English domestic and neo-classical styles. The impressive building may be viewed from the pristine grounds, or on the occasional open access day.
This 16th century chapel has the only surviving pre-reformation stained glass in Scotland left "in situ". The glass is in four brilliantly colored heraldic roundels on the south wall. The chapel was built by Maichale MacQueen and was later bequeathed to the Hammermen, a guild of metalworkers, who then adorned the space with their work. This wonderful building has been recently restored and is now owned by the Scottish Reformation Society. It plays occasional host to concerts: call for the latest details.
Named after William Mcewan, the Mcewan Hall is a 19th-century structure which primarily plays host to college gatherings, namely farewells, festivals and other annual celebrations.
Located in the Old Town, Edinburgh, Chambers Street is flanked by the historical and museum buildings, and numerous restaurants and venues. The street is dominated by University of Edinburgh, Royal Museum, Minto House, Museum of Scotland, Adam House, Edinburgh Sheriff Court and an erstwhile Edinburgh Dental Hospital and School. This street is sure to fill you with architectural bliss and charm of the city.