Set Current Location
|Thursday to Tuesday||09:00 AM to 07:00 PM|
Biblioteca Riccardiana is a library located in the city of Florence, Italy. The library, founded in the year 1600 by the wealthy Riccardi family, is housed inside the magnificent Palazzo Medici Riccardi. Autographed works of Boccaccio, Petrarch and Savonarola are the most precious collection of the library. Other noteworthy collection include ancient manuscripts, rare books on travel, literature, theater and so much more.
Via Camillo Cavour is one of the important roads in the city of Florence. This road dates back to 19th Century when it was constructed and has been named after the Count of Cavour. Via Camillo Cavour was built over the two roads Via Leopoldo and Via Larga. Being located in Florence, which is known for its historic heritage, this road connects you to some of the important landmarks like Riccardi Medici Palace, Piazza del Duomo and houses many hotels and restaurants.
The person represented here is Giovanni de Medici, father to. Cosimo I, who was later to become the Grand Duke of Tuscany. Giovanni de Medici was a mercenary captain (condottiere) in the guard of Pope Leo X, Upon the Pope's death in 1521 he ordered his soldiers to add black stripes to all his banners as a sign of mourning, thereby earning him the sobriquet 'Giovanni of the Black Bands.'
Museo dell'Opera del Duomo has been totally renovated and is located behind the Duomo. The museum shelters many works of art from the Duomo (cathedral), Campanile (bell tower) and Battistero (Baptistery), such as the statue of Boniface VIII, the work of Arnolfo di Cambo, or Donatello's Saint John and Magdalena. The furnishings are also important, for example, the silver altar from the Battistero and the restored panels of the Gates of Paradise.
The Loggia is also known as the Loggia di San Matteo is to be found on the corner of Piazza San Marco, just before the turning off to via Ricasoli. The portico was part of the hospital dedicated to San Matteo inaugurated at the end of the 14th century, and becoming the Accademia di Belle Arti in 1785. It is thought that the seven arches inspired Brunelleschi for his Loggia degli Innocenti. The three portals beneath the loggia have been decorated with terracotta windows glazed by Della Robbia's workshop.
At the start of via Calzaiouli stands this Loggia. It was named by Bigallo when he transferred his confraternity, bearing his name, and merged it with the Misericordia confraternity, the first owners of the Loggia which had been built between 1353 and 1358 by Alberto Arnoldi. The confraternity mainly gave a home to orphans who were housed in the Loggetta so they might be recognized, if by some chance they had merely been lost. The arches are carefully decorated and closed with iron gates. High up on the side of the Piazza del Duomo, the statues in tabernacles were moved from the previous site of the Confraternity in Orsanmichele and depict the Madonna and Child, Santa Lucia and San Pietro Martire, the founder of the Confraternity in 1244.
Piazza del Duomo is one of the most famous landmarks in Florence. Truly an architectural piece of beauty, it encompasses the art and history of medieval Italy, through its sheer design. A visit to this city is not complete without visiting the piazza's cathedral 'Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore' whose dome dominates the skyline. It is no wonder that tourists are spellbound and spend hours trying to capture these images for eternity.
Situated in Florence, the Tomb of Antipope John XXIII is a monument dating back to the 15th Century. The monument was built as a tomb for the Baldassare Cossa as his memorial. Made from bronze and marble, this tomb was made on the orders of Florence Baptistry. The tomb measures more than 7 meters (24 feet) and was the tallest tomb when it was built. This tomb is known for featuring elements from the Italian Gothic architecture design, making it a popular tourist attraction.