Set Current Location
JOIN
My Profile
My profile
Sign out
ATTRACTIONS
New Collection
Palazzo of the Strozzi
This Palazzo was commissioned by Filippo Strozzi and the job was undertaken by Benedetto da Maiano, who began work in 1489. He enlisted the help of Simone del Pollaiuolo , who made the splendid jutting cornice in 1502, and who finished the large internal courtyard with porticoes on all sides. Even though it was inhabited from 1504 the building was never fully completed, leaving the cornice and the southern façade unfinished. The rustication is present on three sides of the façade, which features many iron embellishments, including torch holders, hooks for horses or standard bearers. Some of these were substituted in the 19th century with exact copies of the designs by Benedetto da Maiano. Today the Palazzo is a famous site for temporary exhibitions which take place in the first-floor rooms, while in other rooms accessible from the courtyard are based certain cultural organizations such as the Gabinetto Vieusseux, and the Instituto Nazionale di Studi sul Rinascimento.
piazza degli Strozzi 1 Florence
Today: 09:00 AM-08:00 PM Open Now
View Full Hours
Monday to Wednesday 09:00 AM to 08:00 PM
Thursday 09:00 AM to 11:00 PM
Friday to Sunday 09:00 AM to 08:00 PM
Add to Collection
What's nearby?
Palazzo Strozzi

1
Emporio Armani
2
Piano Nobile - Palazzo Strozzi
3
Cinema Odeon
4
Peter's Tea House of Florence
5
Colle Bereto Cafè
SEE MORE
piazza degli Strozzi 1
Florence, 50123
0,5 3516 704 0 84797 Palazzo Strozzi [["Palazzo Strozzi","43.77108040","11.25212160","http:\/\/cityseeker.com\/assets\/images\/google_markers\/sky_blue_circle.png","","","",""],["Emporio Armani","43.770929201663","11.252133893402","http:\/\/cityseeker.com\/assets\/images\/google_markers\/dark_blue.png",1,"","piazza degli Strozzi 16r, Florence, 50123","http:\/\/cityseeker.com\/florence\/61967-emporio-armani"],["Piano Nobile - Palazzo Strozzi","43.771257050743","11.252158652837","http:\/\/cityseeker.com\/assets\/images\/google_markers\/dark_blue.png",2,"","Piazza Strozzi, Florence, 50123","http:\/\/cityseeker.com\/florence\/797016-piano-nobile-palazzo-strozzi"],["Cinema Odeon","43.770877975244","11.252232931145","http:\/\/cityseeker.com\/assets\/images\/google_markers\/dark_blue.png",3,"","piazza degli Strozzi, Florence, 50123","http:\/\/cityseeker.com\/florence\/75643-cinema-odeon"],["Peter's Tea House of Florence","43.770840409204","11.25206559151","http:\/\/cityseeker.com\/assets\/images\/google_markers\/dark_blue.png",4,"","piazza degli Strozzi 13r, Florence, 50123","http:\/\/cityseeker.com\/florence\/87480-peter-s-tea-house-of-florence"],["Colle Bereto Caf\u00e8","43.771178503568","11.252482233049","http:\/\/cityseeker.com\/assets\/images\/google_markers\/dark_blue.png",5,"","Piazza degli Strozzi 5, Florence, 50123","http:\/\/cityseeker.com\/florence\/864775-colle-bereto-caf\u00e8"]]
Similar Locations
Nearby Hotels
Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Nearby Attractions

This 16th-century palazzo was one of the first examples of "Roman style" architecture which was brought to Florence by Baccio d'Agnolo. While the prevalent Florentine style of the time involved façades with rustication and plasterwork, between 1520 and 1523 Baccio d'Agnolo brought in an architectonic style using triangular tympana and columns typical of Roman classicism. This was not warmly received in Florence and in response to this the architect put an inscription in Latin on the façade. His family motto, used by the poet d'Annunzio, can instead be found above the entrance to via Porta Rossa: "per non dormire" (lest we sleep). The pictoral contrasts required by the stone facade have been revealed by recent restoration.

Add to Collection

Underneath the Loggia del Porcellino, the marble wheel can be found which commemorates the place where the carroccio was left, an emblem of the Florentine Republic. In medieval times it was used as a pillory for those who dared to dupe the merchants of the city. The Loggia was the work of Giovan Battista del Tasso who built it in the middle of the 16th century as a market place for the sale of fabrics and objects of different kinds. Today the Loggia also houses a market, mainly for tourists. Leather bags, silk scarves, straw hats and other art and craft objects can be found there. The Porcellino is the boar which is part of the fountain on one side of the market. This bronze sculpture was made by Pietro Tacca at the beginning of the 17th Century after a marble original of the Hellenistic period (on show at the Uffizi).

Add to Collection

Torre dei Gianfigliazzi is a tower located in the city of Florence which dates back to the Middle Ages. The tower, which was, at the time, used as a residence, now functions as a hotel. The first medieval structure was demolished in 1260 and then reconstructed. The tower is a tall brick building without many embellishments. The tower was again thoroughly renovated during the 18th Century when some structural changes were made such as the addition of new windows.

Add to Collection

In its time this palace was the largest private residence in the city of Florence - only the Palazzo Vecchio offered it any competition. In 1289 construction was commenced on the impressive building for the Spini family, prominent bankers and merchants. The fresco by Domenico Ghirlandaio in the Sassetti Chapel in the nearby Santa Trinità Church portrays the original prospect of the palace.

Add to Collection

This building, an example of 15th-century civil architecture, is in the heart of Renaissance Florence, near the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore and opposite the San Gaetano baroque church, which dates from the year 1000AD. Built for Giovanni Boni, it was constructed by Giuliano da Maiano who included a wide, internal courtyard, reflecting the geometric canons and harmonious equilibrium of the architecture of the time. The building is now private property, having passed out of the hands of the Antinori family in 1506. Their name, thankfully, has been preserved.

Add to Collection

Palazzo di Parte Guelfa is located in Florence, Italy. It is a historic building of the middle ages. It was built in the 14th Century and adorns Renaissance style of architecture. Two additions were made to the original building that was built in the proximity to the church. It is now used for various cultural exhibitions and conventions and meetings.

Add to Collection

Palazzo dell'Arte dei Beccai is located in Florence, Italy. It was built in the 14th Century and was restored in the early 1970's. Inspired by the 14th-century architecture, the appearance of the facade remains unhampered after undergoing major modification. The building is home to the Accademia Fiorentina delle Arti del Disegno since 1974.

Add to Collection

The family was already very powerful when it obtained the palace from the Medicis, but it achieved real fame when the head of the family, Lorenzo Corsini, was elected Pope Clemens XII in 1730. Famous guests such as Michelangelo and Brabante slept here. The frescoes in the bed chamber of Queen Christina of Sweden can still be seen. Moreover a number of the art works now on display in the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica on the second floor originally belonged to the Corsini family.

Add to Collection
0,8 178 23 near_similar 5|137,7|186|1162 0 Fulvio Ghiringhello^:^Andreas Jungherr^:^Nicola http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghirolfo53/^:^http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreasjungherr/^:^http://www.flickr.com/photos/poluz/ Italy
View More