Set Current Location
This Neo-medieval church stands a short way from the Parco di Villetta di Negro and from Piazza Corvetto. Chiesa Anglicana was founded in 1873 to make a permanent home for a Anglican Church in Genova. There is an Eucharist, also known as a Holy Mass, every Sunday at 10:30am.
Located in the residential area of Castelletto, near the nineteenth century Via Assarotti, It represents the main point of reference for the genovese Jewish community. The synagogue was built in a byzantine style in 1935, designed by F. Morando, and is only the most recent of the Jewish centres in the city. The first records of a Jewish community in Genoa date infact from Medieval times, as the toponymic "Piazza degli Ebrei", a little corner of the historic centre near the Porta dei Vacca (o di S.Fede), bears witness. To visit the synagogue, or to attend services you should contact the secretary before Friday morning.
At the end of the sixteenth century, this ancient church was completely restructured. Andrea Ceresola, the "Vannone", changed the building and then modified the interior. The name of the church, Maddalena, has also been given to the surrounding street, piazza and district. According to folklore, the name could have other connotations other than those of the name of the church and its saint; the "oldest profession" in the world has always been practiced in this area. There is the monastery of the Somaschi fathers which has been changed into houses. Next to it, the church is fronted by a recently constructed gateway. Inside there are vaults which are frescoed by S.Galeotti and S.Betti. Have a look at the four marble statues of Virtue (c.1300) and the rare fifteenth century wooden crucifix.
Chiesa di S Filippo Neri was begun in 1674, with a donation from the nobleman Camillo Pallavicino and was completed in 1725. Together with the adjoining convent and the Oratorio di S Filippo Neri, it is an extremely important Baroque construction which lays testimony to the emergence of late borromean culture in Genoa. The facade is concave and only the portal, decorated by the sculptor P Bocciardo, was entirely finished: the rest was left with rather rough finish. The internal walls are covered in frescoes by various artists such as A M Haffner, J A Boni, M Franceschini. It must be said that this is one of the most visited churches in the historical city center because of the charismatic approach and high moral example that many of the priests, mostly Polish, here have. It is not rare to have to queue up in the afternoons to have a one-to-one talk with them.
Next to the Chiesa di S.Filippo Neri, the oratory can be accessed from either number 10 Via Lomellini or directly from the sacristy of the church. Built between 1749 and 1755 as a place for quiet meditation, it is incorporated into the convent of the Padri Filippini, the facade of which was moved. It was perhaps designed by G B Montaldo: the floors are elliptical with choir pews around the walls, banisters, and finely crafted walnut arches which, together with the doors and the large shutters at the windows, constitute admirable examples of Genovese baroque. The ceiling is completely covered in golden stucco with a colored background. Both this and the apse are the work of J. A. Boni, with paintings by G. Diavolo. Not to be missed, is the painting of St. Philip in ecstasy, by the Flemmish artist S. Dubois, and above all the magnificent statue of the Immaculate Conception (1670) by P. Puget, who also created the famed altar of the nearby Abbazia di S.Siro and many other works in Genova. In addition to its role as a convent, the oratory once functioned as a Public Institute of Music, then as a school, but today is a much loved auditorium for classical concerts.
San Bartolomeo degli Armeni is a historic church in the hilly Castelletto area of Genoa. It was built in 1308 by monks of the Black Mountain. The ancient monument still survives to this day, though the chapel on the right was demolished in 1883. Many beautiful paintings, frescoes and artwork can be seen adorning the interior of the church. Notable artists who lent their talent include Giovanni paggi, Luca Cambiasi, Giuliu Benso and Orazio de Ferrari.
This church was built in 1262 not far from the Chiesa della SS.Annunziata del Vastato. It sits, with its adjoining convent, at the centre of a popular suburb, just outside the twelfth century bastions, and belongs to the mendicant Carmelite order. Even though it was extended in the 15th and 16th centuries, this church retains most of its original gothic form, characterized by the pointed arches, the flying buttresses and the square apse. It is the last example in the city of what was a popular style, which was later substituted because of liturgical needs. It has recently been renovated and houses several interesting works of art by G.B. Carlone, B. Castello, and D. Piola, some of which have been recovered from the church of S. Agnese which was destroyed. The Salita S.Bartolomeo del Carmine leads from the apse to the convent and has now been turned into houses. From here one can go back to the church via the Salita di Carbonara, passing through the small village of Carmine. This part of the city has retained the old street names linked with the grocers stalls which used to be situated here, such as piazza della Giuggiola, vico Zucchero, vico Fragola, vico del Cioccolatte.
It is difficult to find this tiny church; Chiesa Evangelica Valdese. It's hidden inside a nineteenth century palazzo on Via Assorotti. The Valdese churches are not part of the Roman Catholic main church, but more of a breakaway Methodist line. This in turn has caused friction with the Vatican, who believes that there should be no boundaries within Christianity.