Set Current Location
Building was carried out in two phases: the first phase was from 1784 to 1799, and the second one was from 1861 to 1867. In 1976 it was restored after having been damaged in an earthquake. Its interior keeps a magnificent image of Jesus Nazareno de la Candelaria, which was brought here from the Panchoy valley. It is located in the chapel on the right hand side of the church, next to the high altar.
Located in Zone 1 of the city, this park is surrounded by important monuments such as Palacio Nacional, Catedral Metropolitana, Biblioteca Nacional (national library), Archivo General de Centro America (Central America General Records Office), Portal del Comercio and Parque Centenario. The park has changed its name several times: Parque Central, Plaza de Armas, Plaza de los Lamentos, Plaza Mayor and finally, Plaza de la Constitución. The monument to Carlos III which was originally located in the center of the park was transferred to Plaza España and replaced by a monument to Cristóbal Colón, which today is located on Avenida Las Americas. In 1943, a fountain was placed in the center of the park, where it still stands. It is visited by locals, especially at weekends, as there is a very lively atmosphere with music, food and lively people.
Literally and figuratively the center of Antigua, Parque Central is near constantly a bustling hub for people watching, public musical performances, and meetings with friends. All street names and addresses in Antigua include their cardinal direction relative to this spot : a square block of wide pathways dotted by geometrical islands of greenery and criss-crossed by everyone in town. The large fountain at the center spouts streams of water from controversial parts of carved angels and mermaids, and can provide hours of peaceful entertainment.
These three cultural institutions are located within the same building. They have plenty of written information on Guatemala and Central America and prove to be very useful for researchers interested in the history of the area and young students who use the information for school projects.
This building dates from 1788 and is one of the few constructions of Plaza Central from the colonial period. It was named Portal de Comercio (Gate of Commerce) because it has been used for commercial activities throughout the years. It consists of several shops, coffee shops and stalls. It is located at one end of Parque Central, opposite Palacio Nacional.
At the top of a hill known as Cerrito Del Carmen, is a hermitage dating from the 16th century. Inside there is an image of the Virgen Del Carmen made of embossed silver which was donated by the "barefooted Carmelites" congregation in 1620. As a result the hill was consecrated and given the name of Carmen. From the top of the hill there is a fantastic view of the city center. The sides are covered by trees and vegetation forming a beautiful wood with paths and benches within the city, frequented by vendors, children playing, people strolling, and lots of local visitors at weekends. It is advisable to visit it during the day and preferably with other people.
The intricate carvings beautifying the façade of this church facing its tranquil plaza (known as Plaza de la Paz, or Peace Plaza) are comparable to those covering La Merced, but devoid of the frequent re-painting that keeps the latter so fresh and so clean. Come to the 19th-century Santuario de Guadalupe to witness the effects of time on this historical decoration. To the left is Iglesia Belén, now a school, begun in 1666 and intended for a multipurpose existence as a church, convent, lodge, hostel, and even hospital. Abandoned along with most of Antigua after its devastating 18th-century earthquake, a sawmill was installed in 1934, which has since been removed. The beloved Hermano Pedro, a Guatemalan sainted for a life of work for the poor, was the original impetus for constructing the Belén church.
A significant part of the Sixth Avenue in Zone 1 or the historical center of Guatemala City is known as the Paseo de la Sexta. Initially, the street was developed in order to attract investment and to create a place for cultural activities. Today the street is lined with a number of eclectic restaurants, bars and cafes as well as many shopping spots adorn various nooks and corners of Paseo de la Sexta. Also, the gardens and squares that exist along this stretch have become meeting spots for locals and tourists. Dance, theater and other forms of arts find expression here each month through an initiative spear headed by the Department of Education and Culture.