Set Current Location
|Tuesday to Sunday||10:00 AM to 05:00 PM|
Here in the Patio Mariano of the National Palace, one can explore the life of Benemérito de las Américas. The display shows the different aspects of the environment that Benito Juárez lived and worked in. His office and living quarters (which he shared with Margarita Maza de Juárez his wife) transport the visitor back to the nineteenth century; and through specific objects and decorations, the visitor is given an intriguing insight into the private and public life of this Mexican President.
Hernán Cortés, the conqueror of Mexico, built this government palace on the site of Moctezuma's residence. The Palacio Nacional that we see today dates back to 1693, although a floor was added in the 1920s. Inside there is a wonderful collection of murals by Diego Rivera. The most famous one is the "Epic of the Mexican People" where two thousand years of history are condensed into the space of an enormous wall. The palace also houses a small museum dedicated to Benito Juárez and the Mexican Congress.
Just around the corner of Moneda, stands one of the oldest buildings of Mexico. Known as House of the First Print Shop in the Americas or Casa de la Primera Imprenta de América, it was the first ever printing press of Mexico. Built in 1524, this historical structure has been used for several purposes over the period of time. After being used as a monastery in the 17th Century, it was then taken over by the U.S troops. Later, a stone head of a serpent of the 16th Century was found under the surface of the ground floor. After its collaboration with the Historic Center Restoration Program, the place is converted to a conference space and a museum dedicated to literature that houses books from the ancient period.
The Iglesia de Santa Teresa la Antigua visible today, dates back to the 17th century and was part of the convent of the same name. Built between 1678 and 1684, its Baroque-influenced façade follows the style of well-known Spanish architect Jose de Churriguera. The church's most striking feature is its massive eight-sided dome topped with a slender tambour, which was once famed for being the highest in the New World. However, the one seen today was reconstructed in 1859, after an earthquake destroyed the original. This church forms part of the Museo Ex-Teresa Arte Actual, which presents some of the most avant-garde exhibitions of Mexican and international visual art today.
Situated on the site of Templo Mayor, the 4-story museum is dedicated to showcase the artifacts discovered from the archaeological site, both in and around the shrine. At the entrance of the museum lies the Tzompantli (translated as 'wall of skulls') that gives you a glimpse of the temple of Tenochtitlan prior to the arrival of Spanish rulers. Among the prized possession of the museum includes a sacrificial stone that is carved with the relief of Coyolxauhqui - the moon goddess. Besides, you can also find various artifacts, and sacrificial remains dedicated to various gods such as the God of war - Huitzilopochtli, the rain God - Tláloc and the God of fire - Xiuhtecutli. This state-of-the-art museum complex was built by Pedro Ramírez Vázque and was opened to public on October 12, 1987. Visit their website to know more.
The Palace of the Marqués del Apartado makes for a grand landmark in the historical center of the city of Mexico. Built around the 1800s, the building consists of 60 rooms along with two courtyards and a fancy pedimented entrance-way. One can also find displays of ruins found at the building that is now the headquarters of the Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia.
This complex of buildings has a history dating back to the 16th Century. The School of San Ildefonso was born when the San Bernardo, San Gregorio and San Miguel schools were joined in the 18th Century. The three inner courtyards separate the colegio chico (small school) from the pasantes (interns) and the grande (big) school. The muralist David Alfaro Siqueiros embellished the stairs of the colegio chico, while the grande has a series of images by José Clemente Orozco which expresses his tragic sense of life and his keen sense of the ridiculous. These murals enhance what is now a cultural arts center.