Set Current Location
Kilometer Zero is where distances are authentically measured in a particular country and is mostly marked by a plaque or a monument to indicate the starting point. It is followed in many countries all across the different continents. The Russian Kilometre Zero is set before the Iberian Chapel in Moscow in the form of a bronze memorial. It is close to the Manezhnaya Square, Red Square, Kazan Cathedral and State Historical Museum. It is a popular spot among locals and tourists alike to make a wish. Coins are thrown backwards on the plaque to test Lady Luck. If it falls rightly, legend has it that your wish will come true.
The Iberian Gate and Chapel, sometimes referred to as the Resurrection Gate, is a beautifully rebuilt entrance gateway to the Red Square and featuring classic Russian architecture. Originally constructed in 1535, it connected the stately buildings of the Moscow City Hall and State Historical Museum and has housed press chambers, a pharmacy store and the office of the Russian philosopher Nikolay Novikov in the two storey halls above it. The chapel located in front of the gates is particularly famous in Moscow for housing a copy of the miraculous icon of Virgin Mary which is believed to have magical healing powers. The small shrine is a historically important monument visited by beggars and royalty alike for worship and has been featured in writings by eminent authors like Leo Tolstoy, Marina Tsvetayeva and H.G Wells.
Located outside the Kremlin, adjacent to the northern corner of the walls, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is a burial ground and a wall memorial commemorating the army personnel who died during World War II. Mass graves of soldiers killed during the seize of Moscow in The structure consists of a large stone platform with a rectangular monument and bronze sculptures in the shape of a banner, a helmet and a bay tree branch located in the center. A large five pointed star is built into the platform in front of the sculptures and has an ever burning fire enlightening an inscription written in Russian. Red blocks containing soils from the different war torn cities of Russia in the 1940s and a red granite obelisk listing their names are also found here. A change of guard ceremony takes place at the memorial every hour and is very popular among tourists for their choreographed marching.
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier commemorates the soldiers of the Soviet Union who died fighting during World War II. The Eternal Flame that continuously burns in front of it is like an ode to their sacrifice. The flame emerges from the center of a raised star sculpture on the ground, which in turn rests on a flat Labradorite square field. The light emanating from the flame draws attention to the bronze inscription on the square field that says “Your name is unknown, your deed is immortal.”
Architect Alexei Shchusev (who built this imposing mausoleum on Red Square in 1930) modeled it on the ziggurat terraced temples of the ancient Assyrians and Babylonians. Inside, visitors file round the embalmed body of the leader of the Russian Revolution, Vladiamr I. Lenin. The material used for the exterior is mostly dark-red granite and grey and black labradorite. The colors are in perfect harmony with the red bricks of the Kremlin Wall that looms in the background. It measures 12 meters in height and 24 meters in length.
The Kremlin Wall Necropolis is a a historic burial ground contain mass graves of soldiers who died during the Bolshevik October Revolution and many important politicians, dignitaries, scientists and astronauts. The location was first used for burials in 1917 and carried on until 1927 when only ashes of cremated bodies were allowed to be buried in the Kremlin Wall. However, the ground again came into service in 1946 but was exclusively reserved for noted national dignitaries. The final burial took place here in 1985 during Konstantin Chernenko's funeral. The site has been a protected heritage landmark since 1974 and tombs and busts of many famous personalities like Stalin, Suslov and Kalinin located along the granite steps.