Set Current Location
|Monday to Sunday||08:00 AM to 06:00 PM|
The historic Lisanti Chapel was constructed in 1905 by Italian immigrant, Francisco Lisanti. It is located in The Bronx, New York, and a visit conveys much about the challenges faced by Italian immigrants. Simple benches face the chapel’s tiered altar with its archway wooden screen. The style of construction followed is the Gothic Revival style. A few major characteristic features include the unique door openings and pointed arched window. The chapel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Frances Cabrini was an Italian born nun who came to the United States on orders of the Pope. Helping Italian immigrants who were flooding the States in impoverished conditions in large numbers, Cabrini founded 67 institutions throughout the world. Owing to her relentless generous work, she became the United States citizen to be canonized in 1938. Dedicated to her remains and her wax effigy the Shrine of Saint Frances Cabrini receives thousands of visitors every year. Located in Washington Heights, the place, however only houses the body since the head was sent to Rome.
The Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist is now referred to as Hebrew Tabernacle of Washington Heights. This Art Deco style building was completely constructed in 1932 and featured in the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.
Founded in 1913, Fort Washington Presbyterian Church emerged owing to the understanding between West Presbyterian and Park Presbyterian Churches. The older church was sold and new church was built from the sales proceeds. It is also known as Iglesia Presbiteriana Fort Washington Heights and has Puerto Rican and Dominican followers too. In 1982, it was handed over to the Hispanic congregation.
Mount Vernon vicinity in Westchester County, New York is flanked by the prestigious First United Methodist Church. The church structure was constructed from 1901 through 1902. Even today, it stands stern as a massive model of the Romanesque Revival style of architecture. The church building is predominantly built by utilizing granite and limestone coupled with a red slate roof. The renowned church building also swanks of a 85 foot massive bell and clock tower. The monumental church site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Established in 1849, Grace Church was one of the earliest places of worship to serve City Island. Though the growing congregation was firmly in place, it wasn't until 1862, that it found a permanent structure for worship. The beautiful Gothic Revival structure features striking architectural details. Besides worship services and religious activities, the church is actively involved in cultural activities, and hosts performances by the City Island Theater Group. Check website for more.
Church of the Intercession is a beautiful example of Gothic Revival architecture in New York City. Built between 1912-1915 and designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue, it abounds with delicate carvings. The massive bell in the tower was made in London. The church complex comprises of the cloister, parish building, Tudor Revival vicarage, chapel and an underground crypt. A stairway leads to the dimly lit catacomb with high ceilings and huge columns. It is the resting place of Goodhue with a sculpted monument on his tomb and Alfred Tennyson Dickens. A designated historic place and landmark, the Church of the Intercession is home to the Clement Clarke Moore Festival which is the oldest and most publicized Christmas custom in Manhattan.
Established in 1848, Church of the Immaculate Conception is one of the oldest places of worship in the city. The imposing church building was constructed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, and is an architectural masterpiece.