Set Current Location
|Monday to Friday||07:00 AM to 06:30 PM|
Built in honor of Louis XIV’s victories in the Franche-Comte region, and along the Rhine, the Porte Saint-Denis sits in the 10th arrondissement of Paris. The architect of the monument was Francois Blondel and the sculptor was Michel Anguier. It is the very epitome of the art of sculpture of the era with its triumphal arch, obelisks and elaborate carvings which depict different incidents which took place during the battles.
Located in the garden of Les Halles near the Bourse du Commerce (Stockmarket) of Paris, the Medicis column, built in 1574 by the architect Jean Bullant for Catherine de Medicis, is what remains of the Queen s hotel. This column is 31 meters (100 feet) high, with interior stairs counting 147 steps; its real function was never established. It is believed that due to the Queen s interest for astrology, it used to be an observatory for Cosimo Ruggieri, Catherine de Médicis astrologist. In 1748, as the hotel was due to be demolished in order to enable the construction of a new corn exchange, M. Bachaumont saved it from demolition and offered it to the city of Paris. The reason explaining the rescue is still mysterious. For more information contact the city's Tourist Information Center on +33 8 3668 3112.
176 meters (577 feet) long with three entrances, Galerie Vivienne is one of the most emblematic passageways of the Capital. Built in 1823 by architect Jean Delannoy, it was inaugurated in 1826. In a neo-classic style, it is made of mosaics and sculptures covered by a glass roof. It is divided in three galleries, and the main one ends at a rotunda covered by a hemispherical glass dome. Nowadays, restaurants, tea rooms, and fashion stores share this space as well as a shop of the famous designer Jean-Paul Gaultier. Many events take place here, detailed program is listed on its website.
An extension of passages Panoramas and Jouffroy, this covered walkway was constructed in 1847 and is named after, M. Verdeau. The delicate, neoclassical glass roof of the Passage Verdeau gives it an airy and charming feel. This lesser known aisle has a stretch of antique stores, rare bookshops and vintage dealers making it an interesting place to shop for souvenirs. There is also a more than century old photo shop that makes for an interesting visit.
The Fontaine Maubuée was constructed in 1733 by Jean Beausire with the assistance of his son. Using the bas-relief technique, they decorated the sculpture with a vase of roses and other plants. The fountain was eventually moved to its current location in the 4th arrondissement of Paris, which was previously occupied by a different fountain from the time of King Charles VI.
Passage des Princes is a covered passageway linking Rue Richelieu to Boulevard des Italiens in the 2nd arrondissement of Paris. It is 80 meters (263 feet) long and was inaugurated in 1860 under the name of Passage Mirès. It was the last covered alley built in Paris; Baron Haussmann made this decision, as he was responsible for the transformations and renovations of Paris during the Second Empire. Following a real estate scheme, the passageway was destroyed in 1985 and rebuilt identically, several original elements of decoration were reused. Since 2002, it has had one main theme: there are mainly toy shops in the Passage des Princes.
The Fontaine Louvis was constructed in the late 1830s. The nomenclature could be a tribute to King Louis-Philippe or Louis Tullius Joachim Visconti, the architect who designed the fountain. Sculpted by Jean-Baptiste-Jules Klagmann, the fountain has statues of four women representing the main rivers of France, Seine, Garonne, Loir and Saone. It is decorated with tritons on dolphins and outlined with the zodiac signs.
Fontaine des Innocents was created by Jean Goujon between 1546 and 1549 to celebrate the entrance of Henri II in Paris. It was first located at the junction of Rue St Denis and Rue aux Fers, leaned back on Saints Innocents church: there were only three sides, decorated with nymphs and naiads. At the end of 18th Century, Parisian cemeteries were emptied and relocated, including the Innocent cemetery. The fountain was relocated in 1788 to Rue des Innocents and Augustin Pajou designed a fourth side. The Innocents fountain was relocated again by a few meters in 1858 to place it in the center of a new square and a pedestal with six basins was added.