Set Current Location
|Monday to Sunday||07:00 AM to 08:30 PM|
Galerie Colbert is a magnificent passageway located in the 2nd Arrondissement of the city. The historic gallery was established in 1827 and was renovated in 1980. It was designed by architect Jacques Billaud and is known for its marvelous glass dome. It is home to many significant institutions like Institut National d’Histoire de l’Art, National Heritage Institution, and Centre André-Chastel. Several exhibitions are held here throughout the year. The gallery is also available for hosting conferences and meetings.
Founded by Louis XIII in 1629, Basilique de Notre-Dame des Victoires is a historic landmark in Paris' 2nd arrondissement. Featuring an organ dating from 1739, the church occasionally hosts choral and classical concerts. For further Tourist Information, contact +33 8 3668 3112.
Located in the garden of Les Halles near the Bourse du Commerce (Stockmarket) of Paris, the Medicis column, built in 1574 by the architect Jean Bullant for Catherine de Medicis, is what remains of the Queen s hotel. This column is 31 meters (100 feet) high, with interior stairs counting 147 steps; its real function was never established. It is believed that due to the Queen s interest for astrology, it used to be an observatory for Cosimo Ruggieri, Catherine de Médicis astrologist. In 1748, as the hotel was due to be demolished in order to enable the construction of a new corn exchange, M. Bachaumont saved it from demolition and offered it to the city of Paris. The reason explaining the rescue is still mysterious. For more information contact the city's Tourist Information Center on +33 8 3668 3112.
This palace, whose size is simply stunning, was built by Brongniart at the request of Napoléon I in 1808. It was home to the Stock Exchange from 1826 until the end of the 20th Century. The majestic neoclassical facade is perfectly in keeping with its importance in the life of the capital. The allegorical statues represent Commerce, Justice, Agriculture and Industry. The building was extended in 1909 and the Salle de la Corbeille was added. The corbeille (a circular room surrounded by a railing, against which brokers would stand) was the bustling center of Paris' financial growth. When the stock market was computerized, the palace was transformed into a conference center. Most of the financial results are still announced from there.
Who is Jean Sans Peur ("Fearless John")? He is the man responsible for the Hundred Years' War. His big mistake? Murdering Louis d'Orléans in 1407. Halfway up the tower where he used to live, you can find an enchanting vault encrusted with leafy greenery. The structure also houses the council of the duke of Burgundy. The vault of the large screw is one of the masterpieces of the French Gothic sculpture.
Located in the center of the city within the Palais de Justice complex on the Île de la Cite, the Sainte-Chapelle (Holy Chapel) is a small Gothic chapel constructed in the Rayonnant style. Built by King Louis IX from 1238-1244, the chapel housed holy relics from the Passion believed to be Jesus' Crown of Thorns and a piece of the True Cross. These items were purchased from the Byzantine emperor Baldwin II in 1239 for a huge sum of 135,000 livres (the church cost 40,000 livres to build) due to the King's desire to elevate France as the leader of Western Christianity. The Sainte-Chapelle provides visitors with a spectacular visual experience, since the entire upper tier of the chapel is surrounded by enormous stained glass windows.
Palais Garnier, named after the architect who designed it in 1862, was immortalized by writer Gaston Leroux in his book Phantom of the Opera. The architecture is a mixture of baroque, classical, Greek and Napoléonic styles. Adorned with mosaics, the foyer has a cupola decorated by painter Marc Chagall and an impressive Rococo staircase, which leads to the theater's magnificent reception rooms. Outside, four stone statues represent allegories of Music, Lyric Poetry, Lyric Theater and Dance. Since the opening of the Opéra Bastille, the Palais Garnier has concentrated on dance.