Set Current Location
Located in the Campo Marzio neighborhood, on the central Via del Babuino, Chiesa di Ognissanti is the main gathering place of Anglican and Old Catholic communities in Rome. A rare and interesting example of Roman influences in an 18th-century Neo-Gothic style, All Saint s Church was erected in 1882 by English architect George Edmond Street, and completed by Italian artists Vincenzo Cannizzaro and Pio Barocci. Its spire was added in 1937. Today, the church is part of Churches Together in Rome, the city's anglophone religious congregation. It also participates in the activities of several religious movements, such as Sant Egidio and Focolari. One can also attend music concerts orchestrated by the Accademia d'Opera Italiana.
The Chiesa di Sant'Atanasio is located near Via del Babuino, where one of Rome's most famous talking statues, the Babuino, is to be found. Sant'Atanasio is celebrated on May 2, and on this day the services take place following Greek ritual. The church dates back to the 16th century and is the work of the architect Giacomo Della Porta. The façade, decorated with tympanums, pilaster strips, and niches, is made entirely of red bricks and is made up of two large, domed bell towers. It also bears inscriptions in Latin and Greek. The church's interior contains various valuable paintings, including a work attributed to Cavalier d'Arpino in the apse and a painting by Trabaldesi in the side chapel on the right.
This little fountain, somewhat hidden behind the flocks of scooters that surround it, was dubbed Babuino because of the ugliness of the statue that represents a Sileno with his bagpipe. It was erected during the papacy of Gregory XIII in the second half of the 16th Century and was thought of as a rival to the statua del Pasquino, and the lesser-known Babuinate were rivals to the famous Pasquinate.
Parallel to the elegant Via del Babuino runs the narrow but noteworthy Via Margutta. Here a great number of young artists, with great hopes and little money, made their names. The street is now peppered with little art galleries. The attics of the houses were and are still the studios of painters great and small. Among the characters who have lived in this street one remembers the painter Novella Parigini with her characteristic images of cats and cat-like women. The festival 100 Pittori in via Margutta (100 painters on via Margutta) takes place every year at the end of October and the beginning of November: it is a chance to admire original works of art and discover new talent.
Where would the Margutta fountain be if not in Via Margutta, the artists' street? It was designed by the architect Pietro Lombardi in 1927 as part of a series of fountains that were supposed to improve the appearance of the city and to replace the unattractive cast-iron fountains. Ornamentation on the fountain is in the form of artists' tools: brushes, callipers, palettes and easels. The two masks from which the water gushes into small square tanks are rather curious. They have contrasting expressions, one cheerful and the other sad, and are supposed to represent the contrasting fortunes of artists.
Casa di Goethe located in Rome, is the place where the world famous German scholar Johann Wolfgang von Goethe resided with his writer friend Johann Tischbein when he came to Italy. People visit here during the cultural events to be part of the readings, discussions and speeches of artists and academicians. The updated reference library with its vast collection of books is a book lovers haven. A common sight here is the tourists and locals browsing through the expansive collection. Check the website for the schedule of events. Guided tours in English are also available for a fee.
Given the scary, ancient doll-heads and limbs kept at the display window, you would want to keep away from this place. However, this little store, located close to Piazza del Popolo is not the scary doll house that it looks like but a "hospital" where toys are repaired. Here, Federico Squatrito fixes broken dolls, toys and figurines with his numerous tools and devices (a.k.a solvents, glue and paint). The interiors of the shop are full of odd little playthings that await their turn till doll-doctor sees them.
Via delle Carrozze is an old, small street running through the historical center of Rome, just two steps from Piazza di Spagna and Via del Corso. This street received its name from the old carriage shops which were placed here, historically. Over the centuries, Via delle Carrozze kept the typical atmosphere of narrow Roman streets, while still offering high quality shopping. Along with Via Condotti, Via della Vite, Via della Croce and Via Frattina, this nice street is one of Campo Marzio neighborhood's chic avenues. Here you will find clothing stores, shirt shops, tailors for men and women, as well as some distinctive gastronomic shops, like La Peonia, which is specialized in Sardinian products.