Set Current Location
The fountain on Via Giulia is known as "The Mask" and was carved from marble during the 18th Century. The mask is attached to a wall although it originally stood alone. The fountain is flanked by two volutes and bears the symbol of the Farnese family, a lily, on the top of the architrave. The water flows from the mouth of the mask into a small shell-shaped basin, then into a larger rectangular tank. It is said that during feast days in honor of the Farnese family, it was not water that flowed from the mouth but wine.
The Terrina fountain was designed by Giacomo Della Porta toward the end of the 16th Century and was originally placed in the center of the Campo de' Fiori. But in 1889 it was dismantled to make way for the monument to Giordano Bruno who was burned alive in the square. It long remained in the council's stores and was rebuilt as recently as 1924 in the Piazza della Chiesa Nuova in front of the church. Like the original fountain, it was built below the level of the road (like the famous "Barcaccia" in the Piazza di Spagna ) as the water pressure was so low. In remembrance of its original location in Piazza dei Fiori, another fountain was erected on the west side of the square.
If you are walking from Campo de' Fiori along Via del Pellegrino, turn at a shabby, crumbling arch on your left. You'll suddenly find a tiny, quiet courtyard considered one of the few remains of medieval Rome: the Arco degli Acetari. Its name hails from the sellers of chalybeate acqua Acetosa (water from the fountain of the same name located in the Parioli neighborhood) or, perhaps, after the name of the Acetari, sellers of water mixed with sugar and vinegar. - Maria Frullini
The palace on the lovely Via Giulia was bought by the state of Hungary in 1928, since which it has been the home of the Hungarian Academy. Here cultural initiatives are held, providing a meeting point between the Hungarian and Italian cultures. Design of the palace was by Bramante whom Pope Julius II had commissioned to design a road to connect Ponte Sisto to Ponte Trionfale together with buildings on either side. However, the final touches to this palace were added by Borromini, without spoiling the 16th c. structure of the building. The palace was named after Orazio Falconieri who bought it from the Farnese family in 1638. Inside there is a magnificent stairway and richly decorated ceilings.
This street is named after the bankers who used to live and work here. There are several interesting Renaissance buildings, such as Palazzo degli Accetti at number 123 and Palazzo dei Pupazzi at number 22. Palazzo dei Pupazzi was commissioned between 1538 and 1540 by the goldsmith Pietro Crivelli who had it decorated with cupids, women's heads and nudes, hence its name. Also in the same street is Palazzo Sforza Cesarini, commissioned by Cardinal Borgia before he became Pope Alexander VI. Palazzo Sforza Cesarini's main façade was once on this street, but was later moved to Corso Vittorio Emanuele side of the building. There is also the church of Santa Lucia del Gonfalone at number 12.
Two elegant twin fountains are to be seen in the wonderful Piazza Farnese. They are formed by two large ancient marble tanks that were originally part of the Terme di Caracalla but one was moved to its present position by Pope Paul III Farnese. The other was moved later. They only became fountains in 1626 thanks to Girolamo Rainaldi. The fountains are decorated with lions' heads, rings in relief, smaller basins, and the coats of arms of the Farnese family, and are topped by water jets.
Great artists contributed in the construction of Palazzo Farnese—Antonio da Sangallo was the first, having been commissioned by Cardinal Alessandro Farnese. Other contributors were Giacomo della Porta, and the great Michelangelo who redesigned the upper floors to make the palace taller and built the amazing cornice. The palace had already been enlarged in 1534, when Cardinal Farnese became Pope Paul III. On his death his two sons, Ranuccio and Odoardo, added to the decor inside to make the building more magnificent. When the Farnese family died in the mid-18th century, the palace fell into decline and was only saved from further neglect when it became the French embassy in 1874. The embassy still resides in the palace and recently the main façade was restored.