Set Current Location
|Monday to Saturday||07:30 AM to 07:00 PM|
|Sunday||09:00 AM to 07:00 PM|
Oratory of San Francesco Saverio del Caravita is an oratory located in the capital city of Rome, Italy. The oratory was built in the 17th Century inspired by baroque architecture, over the remains of a 12th Century church. A fresco by Baldassarre Peruzzi besides the organ, frescoes depicting the life of patron Saint Francis Xavier are a few notable possessions of the church.
The Temple of Hadrian, devoted to the God Hadrian is located in the Piazza di Pietra. It is famous for its magnanimous eleven 15-metre high columns that support the roof. Once mistakenly known as the Temple of Neptune, the ancient building had 15 columns but four of these were lost with time. Today only 11 columns remain and these have been removed from the original site and incorporated into the Carlo Fontana Palace a 17th century structure, now occupied by commercial businesses.
Piazza della Minerva is just off Via della Minerva behind the Pantheon. The name of the church, Basilica di Santa Maria sopra Minerva, was given by the church's position as it is believed it was built over the Roman temple dedicated to Minerva Calcidica. Work began on the church in 1280 but the façade was only completed in 1453. In fact this was meant to be temporary but it has remained unaltered despite many plans up until the 19th Century to modify it. The interior is the only example of Gothic architecture in Rome. On one side of the church can be seen the former convent which was once the offices of the Ministry of Education and now of the Ministry of Scientific and Technological Research. It also holds the Casanatense Library with texts from the history of the Church. In the center of the square in front of the church stands a small Egyptian obelisk known as the Pulcin della Minerva.
Oratory of Santissimo Crocifisso is located in the capital city of Rome, Italy. The oratory was built in the year 1568 and is a fine example of Renaissance architecture. It stands adjacent to San Marcello al Corso church and was built to venerate the cross from here. It has a rich interior decorated all over with paintings and frescoes. The oratory is now being used as a church and is open to visitors.
This church is rather small, having originally been built as a hospital chapel. It was founded in the mid-16th century by the Spanish priest Fernando Ruiz who is buried inside the church. In 1725, the church passed to the Archconfraternity of Bergamaschi who turned it into a meeting place for people who had moved to Rome from Lombardy. It was named after the saints Bartholomew and Alexander who are the patron saints of the city of Bergamo. The façade was the work of a pupil of Bernini, Giovanni Battista Contini; it bears an oval with a relief of the Pietà over the main entrance. Inside, the single nave is surrounded by three chapels and crowned by a barrel vault bearing frescoes from the early 20th Century.
Commissioned by Marcus Agrippa, restored by Domitian, and subsequently rebuilt by Hadrian (who added the dome), the Pantheon was turned into a church in the early 7th Century by Pope Boniface IV. The building's sole source of light is the opening at the dome's apex (the oculus); according to popular legend, this formed the base for the bronze pine cone that is now in the Vatican's Pigna courtyard, where it is used as a fountain. Many famous Italians are buried in the Pantheon, including Renaissance painter Raphael and King Vittorio Emanuele I.
Madonna dell'Archetto is a church located in the capital city of Rome, Italy. The church was built in the 19th Century inspired by Neo-Renaissance style that is rare in Rome. It was built in a small alley and is believed to the smallest church in Rome. The purpose of the church was to store an image of the Blessed Virgin from 17th Century which is believed to be miraculous for moving her eyes. The interior is a work of art with sculptures by Luigi Simonetti, marble decorations by Virginio Vespignani and frescoes by Constantino Brumidi.