Set Current Location
Located in the courtyard of Palazzo della Sapienza, the church of Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza was an outcome of Borromini's architectural knowledge. This architectural marvel was founded by Pope Boniface the VIII, and is a must-visit religious site in Rome. The Palazzo now housing the Italian State Archives, contains all the official documents since the 9th century till the date the Italian Republic was founded in 1870. Therefore, this place is of great Italian historical significance. The entry is free for all. Call ahead for more information. Â Â
The Fountain of the Four Rivers is in the center of Piazza Navona. It was built between 1648 and 1651 from marble and travertine by Bernini. The fountain represents a large rock, which seems to emerge from the water on which an Egyptian obelisk from the Roman era stands. The rock is inhabited by allegorical animals and plants and decorated with the coat of arms of the Pamphili family. Four large statues represent rivers of the then-known areas of the world: the Danube for Europe, the Ganges for Asia, the Rio de la Plata for America, and the Nile for Africa. The last is covering its eyes so as not to see the iniquities taking place before it in the square, the commerce practiced by merchants and tradesmen.
The Fountain of Neptune was first known as the Fountain of the Calderari. It dates from 1576 and was designed by Giacomo Della Porta. It stands on the north side of Piazza Navona and symmetrically opposite the Fountain of the Moor on the south side. It was to maintain this symmetry that a competition was held in 1878 to adorn the fountain that had originally been built quite plain. The results were that the statue of Neptune by Antonio Della Bitta was added to the fountain from which the current name is derived. The God is fighting an octopus and is surrounded by Nereids, putti and seahorses which were added around the large tank by the sculptor Gregorio Zappalà.
The Moro Fountain was designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini and sculpted by Giovanni Antonio Mari in 1653. Located at the southern end of Piazza Navona, it is symmetrically opposite the Neptune fountain by Giacomo della Porta, built in the previous century. Between the two fountains there is a third - the beautiful Quattro Fiumi fountain by Bernini. Bonetti, a famous Roman poet, wrote about the people's love for the fountain. It was about an Englishwoman who wanted to buy the fountain at any cost. However the pontifex refused because he didn't want the Romans to be deprived of this wonderful work of art. They say that the English lady died from grief at the refusal.
This fountain is quite a curiosity due to its design: a niche containing the head of a deer (the old emblem of the district) among four enormous books, two on the left and two on the right. In two of these books are bookmarks shaped like cinnamon sticks, from which water flows into the basin below. The books are reminders of the University della Sapienza in nearby Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza.The fountain was built by Pietro Lombardi and is on Via degli Staderari in the Sant'Eustachio district. It was constructed in 1927 along with nine others in the same region.
The Rione Parione squares have been the site of celebrations (Piazza Navona) and executions (Campo de' Fiori). Campo de' Fiori hosts a daily market filled with shouting stall owners and customers haggling over prices. In the afternoon it becomes a meeting place, especially for the young, and in the evening the taverns and restaurants offering excellent Roman cooking. A monument to Giordano Bruno, who was burned at the stake in 1600, is located in the center of the piazza. The little streets around Campo de' Fiori are teeming with artisan shops, especially via del Pellegrino, where you can still find woodworkers and goldsmiths. On the same street, there are also two 16th-century houses with frescoed façades at numbers 64-65 and 66-67.
Contarelli Chapel is located in the capital city of Rome, Italy. Located within the San Luigi dei Francesi church, the chapel is dedicated to Saint Matthew. Paintings by Caravaggio and frescoes by Cesari decorate the chapel. The beautiful architecture and the fascinating paintings attract many a visitor throughout the year at this chapel.