Set Current Location
A short distance away from the legendary Trevi Fountain, the Vicus Caprarius (also known as La Città dell'Acqua or the City of Water) is an underground site that was excavated between 1999 and 2001. Today, it is located under the Cinema Trevi on the Vicolo del Puttarello street. A fine example of the mysteriously layered city of Rome, this historical site consists of a number of water cisterns, labyrinthine passages and staircases.
The fountain in the Piazza Colonna is made from a large octagonal marble tank that rests on two steps. The exterior is decorated with lions heads. The restoration it underwent in 1830 saw the addition of two dolphins whose intertwined tails are inserted in two open shells from which the water spurts out. A larger jet plays between these two smaller ones.
This large column was erected after the death of Marcus Aurelius to commemorate his victories over the barbarians. The reliefs on the column illustrate battle scenes and soldiers escorting files of prisoners. It is similar in style to Constantine's arch and it is probable that the same artist worked on both. The statue of Marcus Aurelius on the tip of the column was replaced by one of St Paul of which copies can be seen at the Museo della Civiltà Romana in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.
Experience Rome through the ages on this one of a kind, historical adventure. Part educational tour part thrill ride, in Time Elevator Roma guests are strapped into their seats and taken on journey through Rome's long and varied history. Spanning from the prehistoric to the present, see for yourself, the assassination of Julius Caesar, the glory days of the Colosseum, the painting of the Sistine Chapel, the splendor of the Renaissance, and much more! Choose from Dolby surround audio in six languages. Handicap accessible, and static seats are also available upon request at Time Elevator Experience.
Construction of the Palazzo del Quirinale began in the late 16th Century, commissioned by Pope Gregory XIII, who chose the top of this hill as the location for the new papal residence. Various architects contributed to the design, including Carlo Maderno who devised the chapel, Bernini to whom one of the wings was entrusted, and Pietro da Cortona who decorated parts of the interior. It later became a royal palace, and is now the residence of the President of the Republic.
This ensemble composed from components of very different origin nonetheless works to create a harmonious whole. The statues of Castor and Pollux - collectively known as the Dioscuri - holding their horses in check was commissioned and placed on the square in 1588 by Pope Sixtus V. In the 1780's an obelisk originally a part of the Augustus mausoleum was added. Only in 1818 was the granite fountain basin that once stood in the Dioscuri temple in the Roman Forum finally added. It is the horses that give a nickname to Rome's Quirinal Hill - colloquially it is known as 'Monte Cavallo.'
Chiesa di San Silvestro was built by Pope Paul I and Pope Stephen III in 8th century as a shrine for the relics of the Christian saints and martyrs buried in the Catacombs. The basilica is famous for enshrining a fragmented head of Saint John the Baptist. The style and structure of the church have undergone changes through the centuries and the present aspect can be traced back to 16th century. The exterior and interior of the Basilica are richly adorned with decorations, sculptures and inscriptions with works of Francesco da Volterra and Carlo Maderno.
Many statues have been used in Rome to represent opinions conflicting opinions, and one of the most famous is that of Pasquino in the wall of the Palazzo De Carolis and dates from the 16th Century. It shows a man holding a barrel from which a jet of water spurts out. Many hypotheses have been put forward as to who the man is supposed to be: Martin Luther, a member of the Università degli Acquaroli or a certain Abbondio Rizzio, a famous and garrulous drinker.