Set Current Location
Sir Raffles' Statue, the founder of Singapore, is at the center of this square situated on the bank of the Singapore River at North Boat Quay in the heart of the Civic District. Raffles is said to have landed on this site January 28th, 1819, and as the plaque on the statue reads: changed the destiny of Singapore from an obscure fishing village to a great seaport and modern metropolis." Made of pure white poly marble, the statue is a cast of the original effigy located in front of the Victoria Theater & Concert Hall.
The first Siamese King ever to tread on foreign grounds was King Chulalongkorn and his choice of destination, Singapore. Soon after his eight-day visit in 1871, the King conferred to the State this bronze Elephant Statue as a token of appreciation for the hospitality received during his stay here. Several other similar statues were presented to other cities, but this one is considered most special because it marks the first visit by a Siamese monarch to a foreign country. The statue initially took its place before the Victoria Memorial Hall and was later moved to its present location at the Old Parliament House in the year 1919.
Built in 1929, the Elgin Bridge was named after Lord Elgin, the then governor-general of India. Its purpose was to link the Chinese merchants on the southern side of the Singapore River to the Indian traders on the northern side. The first bridge over the river was built on this very site in 1819, hence the name of the two roads leading to it - North Bridge Road and South Bridge Road. At either end of Elgin Bridge are cast-iron lamps, with roundels at the base depicting a lion under a palm tree.
The founder of modern Singapore, Sir Stamford Raffles, has two statues built in his memory. The first is a dark bronze statue, depicting him standing and staring contemplatively with his arms folded. It was unveiled at its original location in the Padang in 1887 and transferred to its present site at the Empress Place a century later. While the other one is in Sir Raffles Landing Site at the banks of the Singapore River to mark the spot where Raffles first set foot on the island in 1819.
Near Cavenagh Bridge stands a prominent white obelisk resembling the Cleopatra Needle on London's Thames embankment. Designed by John Turnbull Thomson, it was built to commemorate the visit of the British Governor-General of India, Marquis Dalhousie, in 1850. A strong advocate of free trade, Dalhousie was warmly received by the local leaders, traders and residents. His visit was considered significant, symbolizing that Singapore was finally gaining recognition from the higher authorities. After he left, funds were raised and the memorial built. Even today, the Dalhousie Obelisk stands as a symbol of free trade.
At the northern bank of the Singapore River near Cavenagh Bridge stands this robust neoclassical structure named in honor of Queen Victoria. Designed by chief engineer Major McNair, the Empress Place Building was built in 1865 with a beautiful facade adorned with Doric columns and rustic French windows topped by ornate fanlights. Initially a courthouse, it had become the headquarters for some government offices by the 1960s. After a profound refurbishment, it was introduced to the public in 1989, its premises taken over by an art gallery, souvenir shops and eateries. You ought to visit the place when you come to Singapore.
This 1910 building evokes the serenity of its era in its arched verandas, balanced symmetry, and dignified proportions fashionable in the 19th century England. A Sri Lankan figurine of Buddha, Islamic art and calligraphy, South-east Asian tribal wood carvings and other ethnographic collections trace Singapore's diverse cultural and religious origins to all over Asia. The Asian Civilisations Museum, however, leans heavily towards Chinese cultural heritage, with two-thirds of the galleries focusing on artifacts from China, with jade, ceramics, bronzes, and folk art, dating from the Neolithic Age to the 20th century.
Completed in 1990 and the fourth to be constructed at this site, the Coleman Bridge is the reconstruction of a more elegant predecessor built in 1886. The bridge links Hill Street and New Bridge Road, spanning the Singapore River near Clarke Quay.This pre-stressed concrete twin-bridge with viewing balconies and planting troughs retains some of the character of the past, such as the three-span form and the patterns of the old cast-iron railings. The eight cast-iron lamp posts that line the bridge have been there since 1886. The Coleman Bridge was named in honor of the first Superintendent of Public Works, G. D. Coleman, who designed St Andrew's Cathedral and the Old Parliament House.