Set Current Location
St Stephen's Church was originally located on the other side of The Rocks. It burnt to the ground towards the end of the 19th century and was re-built in Macquarie Street on 1934. It is a very pretty church, built in the Gothic revivalist style, with breathtaking patterned ceilings. The church choir is very well known and the place is renowned for the traditional congregation that happens here. The mass takes place on various times. Check website for details on the church services.
A masterpiece of Gothic architecture, the foundation stones for St Mary's Cathedral were laid by Governor Lachlan Macquarie in 1821. After a series of architects and religious figures suggested their own versions of the cathedral, the building finally opened in 1900, although work continued until 1928 and really only finished recently. Wardell's original design had two spires that were never built. After ten years' debate and political fund-raising, the twin spires were finally completed in 2000. Today, St. Mary's Cathedral is heralded as one of the most beautiful buildings in Sydney. Visitors to the cathedral can wander around the beautiful interior, which is lit by ornate stained glass windows. Treasures located in the cathedral include the moving and beautifully sculpted Grave of the Unknown Soldier, a marble replica of Michelangelo's Pieta and many gorgeous religious paintings from the late 19th-Century.
Designed by Thomas Rowe, this building, the headquarters of the Jewish faith, was consecrated in 1878. The Great Synagogue features columns, ornate wrought-iron gates, a paneled ceiling covered with gold leaf stars, and other elaborate decorations inspired by synagogues built in London and Liverpool. There is also a museum that runs two or three exhibitions a year on different aspects of Jewish life and heritage.
Governor Lachlan Macquarie wanted, a grand church for Sydney, and architect Francis Greenway, began work on a Gothic inspired metropolitan church. Building was abandoned many times due to funding, drought and Government objections. The sandstone Cathedral was completed in 1868, consecrated and opened as St Andrew's Cathedral on St. Andrew's Day. Features include the William Hill organ and 42 stained glass windows, which were removed during World War II and stored in the Blue Mountains for safekeeping.
St Patrick's Catholic Church was built in 1840, and opened in March 1844, making it one of Australia's oldest. It was built on land donated by an Irishman, who was transported as a convict to Sydney for instigating anti-British uprisings. It features Gothic painted windows and arches, an ornate interior, with high altar and polished brass. It is a pretty and peaceful church, near the entrance to The Bridge. There is a courtyard coffee shop as well, where you can relax.
Holy Trinity Anglican Church or the Garrison Church was founded in 1840. This church strives to spread the message of love and peace and organizes prayer services, sermons and workshops to achieve this aim.