Set Current Location
The Arch of Mastino II began in 1345 by the Veronese masters under the influence of Tuscan works. The equestian statue of the knight, armed with a lance and with the viser of his helmet lowered to hide his face, is by some attributed to the Maestro of Cangrande. The tomb is surrounded by an ornate railing with statues of the Virtues at the corners. Four scenes are carved into the sides of the urn: the Crucifixion, Jesus with John the Baptist and the Virgin, an angel holding a shield and St. George presenting God with a mastiff. On the cover of the urn is carved the prone form of the deceased, watched over by angels, while the underside of the cusp of the baldacchino is decorated with biblical scenes and images of saints.
Among the early medieval arches, the most elaborate is the Cansignorio arch. It was built by Bonino da Campione, who opted for a complex and fastidiously ornamented architecture: the gates that encircle it are enriched by shrines with the figures of the Warrior Saints Lodovico, Martino, Sigismondo, Quirino, Valentino and Giorgio. The tomb, on which lies the prone figure of the deceased, watched over by angels, is decorated with bass-reliefs depicting scenes from the Gospels. Above the tomb there is an arched baldacchino suppported by six twisted columns. On the top of the cusp stands the equestrian statue of Cansignorio, on a hexagonal base on which are carved bass-reliefs of the apostles.
The monument of Girolamo Fracastoro (1478-1553), is balanced on an arch in Piazza dei Signori, behind the monument of Dante. He was a doctor and man of letters from Verona. He was distinguished in many scientific disciplines, gaining popularity as a doctor, so much so that he was considered to be one of the first exponents of modern pathology. He also produced the theory of contagion based on germs and hypothesized the causes and means of infection. His most famous work is a poem dedicated to syphilis in which he christened it the "French disease" (and the French refer to it as the "Italian disease" in return) and for which he advised a cure based on guaiacum and mercury.
The very noble Piazza dei Signori is the heart of Verona. Its perimeter is surrounded by historical buildings, which accentuate the important role the place has played in the city's politico-administrative spheres. On the piazza we find the Palazzo del Comune, the Palazzo del Capitanio, and the Loggia del Consiglio. The buildings are joined with elegant arches, mostly dating from the 14th Century. There are wide ranges of styles, which are nevertheless characterized by great harmony.
The majestic palace that was once the city, near Piazza delle Erbe, has housed the District Court for a long time, a monument of which the citizens of Verona are justifiably proud. It is an imposing complex, with a nearly square shape and a great central courtyard.
Located a few blocks away from Arche Scaligere, the Torre dei Lamberti is a magnificent tower that is regarded as an architectural masterpiece, just as the former. This grand tower soars to a height of nearly 84 meters! With constructions dating back to the 12th century, the Torre dei Lamberti is an excellent example of the rich architectural traditions of the city. The tower clock, its bells and its overall grandeur transpose you to the bygone era. Besides appreciating its superlative design, visitors also come here to enjoy panoramic views of the city, that can be seen from atop the tower.
North of the Piazza delle Erbe, in front of the Maffei Palace, stands the Colonna di San Marco, which was erected in 1523. It was sculpted in Veronese white marble, from a design by Michele Leoni. The lion at the top of the column is not the original. This was knocked down in 1797, when the Venetian Republic ceased to exist. This was a result of the Treaty of Campoformio in which Napoleon ceded Venice in exchange for the Duchy of Milan. The current lion was placed at the top of the column in 1866, the year of the Vienna Peace Treaty and of the plebiscites: the year which signaled the reunification of the Veneto to the rest of Italy.
A statue of a woman who points her threatening and pointed sword towards the sky. This monument, which commemorates a tragic event of World War I, is on one side of the Piazza delle Erbe. On November 14, 1915, an Austrian airplane machine gunned the historical city center hitting many civilians who happened to be at the market place. This barbaric attack against unarmed and defenseless people has never been forgotten by the Veronese people. On November 14, 1920, this statue was erected in remembrance. The female figure symbolizes the city which is in pain but not defeated.