Set Current Location
|Monday to Saturday||09:30 AM to 04:30 AM|
|Sunday||10:30 AM to 04:30 AM|
Built in 1922, this fabulous Beaux-Arts mansion was constructed at the behest of Mary Foote Henderson upon the designs of George Oakley Totten as a residence for the Vice President of the United States and a memorial to her son. The mansion at 16th and Fuller was instead purchased by the Spanish Embassy and maintained as the official residence of the Spanish Ambassadors until the turn of the century. With its rich architectural details and elegant design, the mansion has come to be a popular landmark and has been revived as a cultural center. The Former Residence of the Ambassadors of Spain hosts a vibrant and varied cultural program with a preference for Spanish themes, including film screenings, exhibitions, lectures, conferences, festivals, performances and more.
Fashion trends change as the time passes, but each era and each culture is distinguished by the unique patterns, designs and colors. The Black Fashion Museum established by Joyce Bailey tries to capture the African-American world of fashion in the by-gone era. It has vast collection ranging from articles featuring models to slave dresses. You can actually see the copy of wedding gown of Jackie Kennedy and many other celebrity dresses and gowns. It's a family operated museum and you can visit it with prior appointment only.
The symbol of the city of Washington DC, this 555-foot marble obelisk on the National Mall honors the nation's first president. The cornerstone of the Washington Monument was laid in 1848, but construction was not completed until 1884. About one-third of the way up the obelisk is a visible change in the marble, evidence of the onset of the Civil War. Construction was halted during the war, and when builders returned to the same quarry to complete the project afterward, enough time had passed to cause a significant change in the color.
The Hillwood Estate, Museum and Gardens is the legacy of Marjorie Merriweather Post, a famous socialite and founder of General Foods. The 40-room mansion dates back to the 1920s and houses a huge collection of art, jewelry and other artifacts that belong to her. View rare Faberge eggs, historic portraits, exquisite tapestries and pieces of china. Walk through the landscaped gardens and enjoy the colorful flowers and plants.
Mary McLeod Bethune, a noted teacher and political leader, lived in this house from 1943 until her death in 1955. She served as director of the Division of Negro Affairs under Franklin Roosevelt and was an advisor to three other U.S. presidents. The house was the original headquarters for the National Council of Negro Women. Founded by Bethune, the group sought to promote women in society and eliminate all forms of discrimination. Today, the home is a museum dedicated to Bethune and all American black women. A large collection of writings, artwork, photographs and memorabilia are on display. Donations accepted.
The Washington Club was founded in 1891 for “literary purposes, mutual improvement and the promotion of social intercourse.” The Washington Club was the first women's organization to be included in the D.C. area. Men were not involved in the club until 1979. The Club's extensive library, one of its most well-known features, is a collection of books from its members, and many extraneous books have been donated to hospitals, schools, and the Library of Congress. The Club has changed location several times because of its growing size, eventually moving to its current location in 1951. The Club hosts many guest speakers that cover a wide range of interesting topics, as well as other events like Bridge Marathons and book discussions for the literary minds.
Located on the historic Mount Vernon Square, The Carnegie Library of Washington D.C. is a prestigious public library. It was gifted by British business Andrew Carnegie on January 7, 1903. Built on the designs by the renowned architectural firm Ackerman & Ross, the grand library building flaunts Beaux-Arts inspired architecture. Touted to be the first library open to public, its premise area availed by the Historical Society of Washington, D.C. and Events DC.