Cineteatro Massimo was one of the first multiscreen cinemas in the city. It has three rooms on three floors. It shows commercial films that follow the tastes of the public. The smallest screen is reserved for art films, which have less commercial success. Ever since the opening, it has hosted the Flaiano Prize which also includes an international cinema show. There is also a small bar here.
Dedicated to the poet from Pescara, this is an open air theater-monument that hosts a theatrical season every summer which includes concerts and ballet. On rainy evenings the shows take place at the cinema-theater Massimo. It is adjacent to the D'Avalos park and faces the sea. Made of cement, it was built in 1956. On the right side is a tall obelisk 65 meters (213 feet) high, made by Vincenzino Michetti and decorated with stylised motifs along its height. The surrounding area is green and fairly large, and if you adventure into the pinewood you will find the roots of liquorice which are a favorite with young people.
According to legend, this place was built in 1498 on the site of a miraculous apparition. The frescoed portal of the Deposition is from 1505. On the left of the portal, is another Renaissance fresco of the Virgin, Child and two Angels. On the right side are remains of an old building which could have been a cloisters. The bell tower has little windows and finishes in a pyramid shape. The interior has one nave with a cross vault, decorations and ornaments. There is an arch by the apse and the main altar was made in 1642 with a great deal of golden stucco, decorated columns, allegoric statues and a 15th-century triptych. There are also frescoes by the school of Andrea de Litio. The church is found on the road between Alanno and Cugnoli. From Alanno, take the road for Cugnoli and turn left for Torre De Passeri. After 3 kilometers (1.9 miles) you find the church.
Built in the 17th Century to commemorate an apparition of the Madonna, this has a facade with a central, square part covered by stone blocks. Above the neoclassical portal is a square window underlined by a cornice. The upper, central part of the facade finished with an oval, horizontal cornice. The higher sides are sloping. The interior has a nave with two lateral chapels, covered by frescoes. The decorations contain 54 scenes and portraits. This is not far from Pietranico which can be reached by the A25 from Pescara, from the Casauria-Torre de Passeri exit.
This was discovered by excavators examining a succession of strata at Roman, sub-Appennine and Neolithic levels. The value of this discovery is not only related to the fact that it is over 6500 years old. It is also that the cave was not a hunting shelter like so many other archaeological finds from the same period. This cave was a sanctuary. Studies have found remains of a child sacrificed in some rite, that was probably linked to the fertility of the land. It is near Bolognano, in a rocky landscape with waterfalls and green water from the Valley of Orta.
Of medieval origin, this church used to be home to nuns. It can be reached by going up a staircase that was rebuilt in the 18th Century. The facade dates from the same period, decorated with Maltese Crosses. The Romanesque, polygonal apse dates from the middle of the14th Century as does the bell tower, which is surrounded by majolica bowls. Near the entrance, in a niche, is the 15th-century statue of a Madonna with Child. Inside, there is a single nave and lateral altars. On the main altar is a painting of San Giovanni Battista (St. John the Baptist) from 1617, by Samberlotti di Montorio.
Founded between the 4th and 5th Centuries, Alanno was donated to the monastery of S. Clemente in Casauria by Ludovico II. Remains of old walls and square and cylindrical medieval towers have been preserved. Check out the church of Madonna delle Grazie, which is an unusual example of Abruzzo Baroque. Santa Maria Assunta, another church, was completely restored after the earthquake of 1915. Inside you can still see some 19th-century furnishings and the bust of a saint from the Renaissance period. The Church of San Francesco is also worth a look with its Baroque interior and valuable paintings. Just outside the center of the town, there is a noble home from the 19th Century and the Convent of San Patrignano, which is made of brick and has a beautiful series of arches.
The point where the Lavino River reaches Pescara has always been a significant spot, and was the site of thermal baths in Roman times. It is a small, industrial center with no historic heritage, even though it has the Church of the Madonna della Carmine and the Town Hall which both display good architecture. Outside the town, along the Lavino river, there is a park that is a marvel of blue, sulphur waters, willows and poplars populated by moorhens, nightingales, green woodpeckers and grey wagtails. There is a seventeenth century mill here that is still active, with wooden blades and stone grinders. It is a true example of industrial archaeology. From Pescara, take the A25 to the Scafa-Alanno exit.
Despite the name and the walnut on the coat of arms, it is not walnuts, but Roman and pre-Roman objects that have been found here. The origins of these relics remain obscure, as there is no documentation to support a history. There is a medieval castle here with a museum of modern art. In the Church of Sant'Antonio, which once belonged to Franciscan friars, are paintings and objects from the Renaissance and Baroque periods. The Romanesque Church of San Lorenzo has been abandoned and semi destroyed. To get here, take road 602 from Chieti, and turn right after Catignano following the signs.
On a smooth, sloping rock, this place is still full of legends of miracles and saints who are entwined in the history, and from whom this rock takes its name. The story of the construction of the Oratorio della Madonna della Croce all revolves around the tale of an apparition of the Virgin. In memory of this there is a procession from the Church of San Michele every May 3, holding a statue from the 19th Century. The Parish of San Michele was restored in 1934, and has parts that were rebuilt in Romanesque style. The Church of San Rocco has one portal on which its foundation date of 1868 is written. The facade is neoclassical, covered in blocks of stone, and has semi-columns. The triangular front has a circular window. On the wall is a simple, brick bell tower. To get here, take the A25 from Pescara and take the Casauria-Torre de Passeri exit.