According to legend, this place was built in 1498 on the site of a miraculous apparition. The frescoed portal of the Deposition is from 1505. On the left of the portal, is another Renaissance fresco of the Virgin, Child and two Angels. On the right side are remains of an old building which could have been a cloisters. The bell tower has little windows and finishes in a pyramid shape. The interior has one nave with a cross vault, decorations and ornaments. There is an arch by the apse and the main altar was made in 1642 with a great deal of golden stucco, decorated columns, allegoric statues and a 15th-century triptych. There are also frescoes by the school of Andrea de Litio. The church is found on the road between Alanno and Cugnoli. From Alanno, take the road for Cugnoli and turn left for Torre De Passeri. After 3 kilometers (1.9 miles) you find the church.
Built in the 17th Century to commemorate an apparition of the Madonna, this has a facade with a central, square part covered by stone blocks. Above the neoclassical portal is a square window underlined by a cornice. The upper, central part of the facade finished with an oval, horizontal cornice. The higher sides are sloping. The interior has a nave with two lateral chapels, covered by frescoes. The decorations contain 54 scenes and portraits. This is not far from Pietranico which can be reached by the A25 from Pescara, from the Casauria-Torre de Passeri exit.
Of medieval origin, this church used to be home to nuns. It can be reached by going up a staircase that was rebuilt in the 18th Century. The facade dates from the same period, decorated with Maltese Crosses. The Romanesque, polygonal apse dates from the middle of the14th Century as does the bell tower, which is surrounded by majolica bowls. Near the entrance, in a niche, is the 15th-century statue of a Madonna with Child. Inside, there is a single nave and lateral altars. On the main altar is a painting of San Giovanni Battista (St. John the Baptist) from 1617, by Samberlotti di Montorio.
The cathedral is found on a hill where pagan rites took place once upon a time. There are remains of cult settlements here and Roman remains have been found in the area which testify that it is an ancient, holy place. Before the cathedral was built, which is dedicated to Santa Maria degli Angeli and to San Massimo, there were at least two Christian churches here. Material was found during restorations that documents the story of the church throughout the centuries from before the year 1000. Before the 11th Century, it was Romanesque, and in the 14th Century it became Gothic. It was restored at the beginning of the last century, and was seriously damaged by the 1944 bombings, and rebuilt in 1955. The facade was rebuilt in brickwork, but the lateral door dates from 1574 and the bell tower from the 14th Century. The interior is a latin cross shape with three naves containing pointed arches. The main altar in the presbytery is from the 12th Century, and, although it was rebuilt after the bombings, it still has original parts. The oldest part of the church is the crypt, which dates from before the year 1000. It has oriental, marble and granite columns that date from the classical building period, and there are remains of frescoes from the 12th and 13th Centuries. There is a distinctive holy water font which has a mix of medieval and Renaissance elements.
This is one of the most beautiful 18th-century buildings in the region. The terracotta brickwork façade reaches skyward with two rows of Doric and ionic columns. The middle section has a soft curved line. It was originally built in the Middle Ages and rebuilt in 1733. The inside is neoclassical with a nave that gives onto various lateral altars which are decorated with prestigious paintings. One of the walls features a fresco of the Annunciation. The second altar on the right has a 19th-century guilded wooden statue of the Virgin which is quite striking. You can ask the parish priest to show you the Copertore di Cristo Morto. The velvet is embroidered in many colors, including silver and gold, and is placed on a wooden sculpture in the niche between the first and second altars on Good Friday. In the sacristy there is a tavola pregiottesca ('pre-Giotto painting') of a Madonna with Child.
This abbey has been attributed to Benedictines since the 8th Century. It suffered a fire in 1168, and the present architectural structure dates from 1280. The four arched portico is a Renaissance addition. The bell tower is built on a medieval tower and is crowned with little arches. The frescoes that used to cover the walls mostly date from the 14th Century. There is the Judgement by an unknown painter, which is a vision of the hereafter, mixing classical platonism with Islamic culture in a literary and artistic vision of the 12th Century. In the back are the naked souls crossing a narrow bridge, some helped by an angel, others having a fatal exit in the river of boiling pitch. The fortunate souls enter into a rich house where they dress and dance. This is outside the town. From Piazza Garibaldi, take the road for Penne and then the panoramic route with the Convent of the Cappuccini. From Pescara, take the 16 road, then 151 in the direction of Penne.
This is one of the most important examples of Longbard architecture in the Abruzzo. It was built in the twelfth century on a pre-existing imperial structure, using simple material to build the bell tower. The facade is brick and perforated brick, and the portal has semi columns linked by little arches. The interior has three naves divided by brick, cylindrical and quadrangular pillars. On the right is a representation of a saint and there is little light in the church. Civitaquana can be reached by taking the 602 road from Pescara or the A25 to the Chieti exit.
Surrounded by rose beds and oleanders, these splendid vineyards are perfectly aligned by the hands of these expert wine growers. This noble family has been producing wine for centuries and this is in fact one of the best known wine cellars of the Salento. As you walk down the rows you can appreciate all the work that goes toward maintaining the vines: a combination of the latest technology as well as more traditional methods like those used to kill parasites which are in harmony with the surrounding habitat.
This city was originally an Italic and Lombard settlement. The nearby monastery of S. Clemente wanted to defend the territory by building walls around the populated area hence transforming the city. You can still see the old houses built into the walls in the historical center around the Palazzo baron ale, from the 16th century, and the Church of Santa Maria Entro Terra. The populated area is on the top of the hill and has a beautiful view of greenery and rocks with waterfalls and rapids which are part of the Valle dell'Orta. The Grotta dei Piccioni is also in this area. It is an extraordinary archaeological site incorporating the remains of a worship area. You can get to Bolognano from Pescara by taking the S.N.. 5.