Set Current Location
Some say that this was called Laurentum from the Roman era, but the town only reached its splendor in the 11th Century, when it was a Norman earldom. It had a castle and an abbey (Santa Maria in Piano). After the Norman period, it had many patrons throughout the centuries including the D'Aquino, the Afflitto, the Avalos, the Caracciolo, the Farnese, Alessandro de'Medici and Margherita of Hapsburg. It was oppressed until the 19th Century when it had a cultural and civil reawakening. There were liberal ideas and anti-Bourbon movements, a theater and the Casamarte Library was set up. The private collection gave life to the beautiful Ceramics Museum. The Museum of Oil and the History of Work, Industrial Archaeology and Craftsmanship is currently being built. From Pescara take the no. 16 road until Cappelle and from here the no. 151 road.
According to legend these baths were built in 980 by Caro, grandson of Carlo Magno. The modern thermal baths were built at the beginning of the 20th Century in order to exploit the properties of the sulfuric mineral water to cure respiratory and skin diseases. In a few years these curative waters began to draw many tourists so hotels, pensions, residences and other establishments were built around them. Apart from the thermal baths are there is also a small historical center that includes three churches from the 15th Century: the gothic Church of Santa Maria Assunta; S. Nicola, famous for the silver cross it houses and San Maurizio featuring a triptych of the Madonna with Child. The nature reserve of the Orfento is close to the town. From Pescara take the A25, Casauria-Torre de Passeri exit then the route 487.
This took its name from a Longobard nobleman called Moskoulf, who had a a castle on the Luca hill. This place which has been inhabited since Roman times, does not boast a glorious history. All its fame comes from great olive oil and the mandolin. It is said that everyone in the town knows how to play the mandolin, and they play it together. As well as the S. Cristoforo church, there is the eighteenth century Ferri palace, with a stone portal and the chapel of Sant'Antonio, with the original cobblestones. Just outside the center is water with therapeutic properties. From Pescara take the no. 16 road, and after Cappelle sul Tavo take the no. 151 road.
This church dates from 1607 and has an oval shape. The ornate facade has a distinctive, triangular front. There is a simple, classic portal. The interior has one nave with a discontinous perimeter and lateral altars. The walls are concave and there is a pulpit. There are Baroque, stucco decorations made mostly by Ambrogio Piazza in 1669. On the vault are frescoes of scenes from the book of Esther. The back wall has paintings of S. Cristoforo, and there are paintings on the altars and works of wood and a wooden choirbox. There is also a reliquary of the saint. Services: Weekdays: 8a, 6.30pm Weekends: 9a, 11a, 6.30pm.
Located in the region of Abruzzo, Capestrano is a popular tourist spot. Though a small town, Capestrano is a popular tourist spot. Capestrano houses the scenic Capodacqua lake which features the ruins of historic mills submerged underneath. In addition to this, Capestrano is known Piccolomini Castle and St. Peter ad Oratorium monastery. This beautiful town is a must-visit for the history and culture enthusiasts.
This name comes from lucus or 'wood,' and can be explained by the presence of a temple at the back of the church, built in the 12th Century. It is said that the baptismal font on the meadow in front of the church was the cup of Orlando, head of the legendary group of paladins who liked to come here. The facade preserves its Medieval origins in the stone portal with a rounded arch. On the walls are little arches decorated with motifs. The interior has three naves separated by two rows of four columns with a central pillar. On the left pillar is a stand by Nicodemo, from 1159. It is richly decorated and surrounded by arches with four columns. Biblical scenes are painted around the structure, that is a work of stucco. On the columns along the nave are some traces of remaining frescoes. In the apse is the scene of universal judgement dating from the thirteenth century. To reach the church take the Moscufo exit at the north east, and take the right road at the crossroads. Soon after you will reach the church.