Set Current Location
Built in the 14th century, the towers of the Rathaus or Town Hall, dominate the skyline of Basel. Through the centuries, this building underwent a series of renovations being expanded and painted over by the artist Hans Bock. The present day Rathaus has mixed elements of Art Nouveau style and the Renaissance Style. An often photographed building, this place is crowded at anytime with curious tourists and passersby.
Two slender towers characterize this red sandstone church. Climb at least one to appreciate the stunning view. Although Münster Hill was already inhabited by the time of the Celts, the present late-Roman/early-Gothic building was mostly constructed in the latter part of the 12th century. In 1356, five towers were destroyed in an earthquake. The famed humanist Erasmus of Rotterdam is buried here. The Roman gate is notable for its many old stone figures.
The foundations for the Kunstmuseum were laid when the city of Basel purchased the Amerbachsche Kabinett. This private collection, which boasted works by Holbein among others, was the world's first publicly owned one. Work by Witz, Schongauer, Cranach, Grünewald and others also displays the renaissance's rich artistic traditions. 19th-century art is also featured with Arnold Böcklin's work at the forefront. He did, after all come from Basel. Marble steps take visitors to the museum's upper floors. 20th-century art by greats such as Leger, Braque and Picasso can be found here as can abstract expressionist and pop art pieces. The building itself is almost cubic. Situated near the Wettsteingbridge, it also houses a library and copper-plate engraving cabinet.
Home to FC Basel of the Swill First Division, St Jakob's Park is the new stadium that replaced the old Joggeli in 2001, and is one of the most beautiful multipurpose stadiums in Europe. The 42,500-capacity park was a destination for Euro 2008, and also hosts pop concerts and other large scale events. The stadium has a bevy of restaurants, cafes, and a shopping center and fitness facilities.
The expansion of the city in the 19th century meant the end of the medieval walls and its seven entrances. However, the most beautiful of them, the Spalentor, remains. Erected in the 14th century, this gate still possesses a very impressive oak portcullis. Just inside lies a copy of the city's customs decree of 1795, a great piece of history. The gate is adorned with beautiful glass tiles and humorous 15th-century figures. The originals can be viewed in the Museum of History.