Erected in the Baroque style by Carlo Francesco Dotti in 1741, this church is perched on top of a hill overlooking the city of Bologna. Energetic tourists and ambitious joggers make the trek of just over three and a half kilometers (two miles) up to the majestic Santuario up the long portico lined with 666 arches leading from Porta Saragozza to the sanctuary on Colle della Guardia. Built in honor of an image of the Madonna, the edifice is beautiful, both for its architecture and its exclusive view. Each May the citizens of Bologna carry the figure of the Madonna around the city in procession. People travel from all over the world to take part; it is said that doing so is of great spiritual benefit.
Within the Accursio palace, the seat of the City's Administration, reached via the charming Piazza Maggiore, you can visit the twenty magnificent rooms which currently hold the city's prestigious art collection. These sumptuous rooms, adorned with decoration and frescoes painted between the 16th and 19th Centuries, constituted, until 1859, the main seat of pontifical justice in Bolgna. The collection of works exhibited, which has been on show since 1935, was built up through private purchases and conspicuous donations to the community of Bologna by several wealthy families: the Palagi, Baruzzi, Pepoli, Verzaglia and Pizzardi families. The collection are worth visiting since they include several master works by famous Bolognese artists, such as Simone dei Crocifissi, Jacopo di Paolo, Vitale da Bologna, Francesco Francia, Bartolomeo Passerotti, Jacopo Tintoretto, Ludovico Carracci, Giuseppe Maria Crespi, Gaetano Gandolfi, Angelo Michele Colonna.
The very modern Jewish Museum in Bologna is housed in the Palazzo Pannolini in the heart of Bologna's old Jewish Ghetto. A fascinating journey through the narrow streets and alleys of the ghetto will introduce you to an even more interesting itinerary: 500 square meters of exhibitions devoted to the history of the Jewish population. The museum is divided into three sections: the first features historical events and the problem of Jewish identity, the second is dedicated to temporary activities and in the third there is a delightful center for data transmission. There is also a specialized library where meetings, debates, and initiatives involving young people are also held here.
Museo Pelagalli (Mille Voci e Mille Suoni) contains more than 800 pieces, which illustrate the history of radio, from Marconi to the present time. It covers the History of musical machines between the 17th-19th Centuries. One room is entirely dedicated to Marconi, another exhibits mechanical equipment, cameras, civil and military radio equipment, and the work of the Ducati brothers. One section includes the history of television, and there is also an area dedicated to the history of Italian and Neapolitan songs, containing more than 5000 songs, period records, and precious musical scores. Furthermore, there is a film library, full of theatre bills and films, a music library, and a room for frequent visitors to the museum.
This palazzo was built in 1549 and is thought to have been designed by Pellegrino Tibaldi. The Torre della Specola e Museo Astronomico is built on top of the palazzo and dates back to 1725. It was built by Carlo Francesco Dotti. The university of Bologna has used the building since 1802 as an Institute for Science and as a museum for the university. They has visiting times every day. It is possible to visit the historic Aula Carducci where Giosué Carducci taught and see the beautiful courtyard which contains a sandstone statue of Hercules by Angelo Grabiello Piò.
The Love for Ducati's Motorcycles paved way for Livio Lodi to curate the Ducati Museum. Established in 1998, the museum features a collection of all the Ducati motorcycles as well as a few other products from the start of Ducati's history. 2016 marked the 90th Anniversary for Ducati, which made them revise each and every item on their collection list.
The Basilica Santuario di Santo Stefano, the oldest and most attractive of the city's religious sites, also houses a museum containing artifacts from the period 1300-1800, which were obtained from restoration works carried out in the chapel on the same complex. The lovely works include polyptychs, tryptychs and canvasses by Jacopo di Paolo, Lippo di Dalmasio, Simone dei Crocifissi and Alessandro Tiarini. The small museum, divided into two rooms, Cappella della Benda and the old Sala Capitolare has also put on display the beautiful reliquaries of San Floriano from the 1300s and San Petronio built by Jacop Rosetto in 1380.
Desired by Pope Benedetto XIV, the magnificent University library was built in 1741, and is housed inside the Università Di Bologna. Having been designed by Carlo Francesco Dotti, it became a part of the Science Institute and contained the collections of Pope Benedetto XIV, the naturalist researcher Ulisse Aldrovandi, Cardinal Monti and others. Today it contains over 900,000 volumes, almost 3000 letters and autographs and thousands of manuscripts such as the Paolo Diacono from the 12th Century, an Avicenza in Hebrew from the 15th Century as well as many other illustrated works. The inside has been decorated with frescoes by many of Bologna's famous artists.
The Museo Europeo degli Studenti has objects, books, photos and newspapers from all over Europe that document the history of university students since the Middle Ages. There is also an archive and a library. If you visit it, do not miss the lovely hall of Santa Lucia.
The Palazzo della Cassa di Risparmio was built in 1877 and is one of the most eclectic buildings in Bologna. It can be found at Via Farini 22, and was designed by the architect Giuseppe Mengoni, author of Palazzo Poggi-Cavazza (also in Bologna) and designer of the porticoes in Piazza Duomo. He also designed the audacious and innovative glass and iron vaults in the famous Galleria Vittorio Emanuele in Milan.
This church is on one of the country walks that you can do in the hills around the outskirts of Bologna. It is nearly one thousand years old with the oldest structure dating back to 1062. The church has undergone numerous renovations over the ages. A beautiful cloister was added to it and it was adapted by military engineers. However in 1892, it was reconsecrated and fully restored. Inside, it still has the same old transeptal division between the Canon's choir and the congregation. The cloister is beautiful; it's surrounded by a portico with small columns from the 12th Century. There is an attractive well in the middle of the square which was created in the 16th Century.