Set Current Location
With its traditional Neo-Gothic style, exquisite stained glass windows and impressive steeples and spires, St. Michael's Catholic Cathedral resonates as one of Toronto's architectural and spiritual landmarks. St. Michael's Catholic Cathedral is also well-known for its choirs, junior and senior, which perform at various services on Sunday morning. Extremely active in the community, the church has a strong Catholic Women's League and opens its doors for weekly Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.
St James Park, with its 19th-century garden and splendid fountain, is the setting for this cathedral, Toronto's first Anglican Church. The Cathedral Church of St James you see today, which opened in 1853, is actually the third on the site - the first two were destroyed by fires in 1839 and 1849 respectively. Designed by architect Fredrich Cumberland, the present church includes the tallest steeple in Canada and an elaborate interior with a solid marble choir stall and stained glass windows.
The oldest Canadian Islamic centre in Toronto, the Jami Mosque building was purchased in 1969, which was formerly housed a church. Converted into a mosque, it has a beautiful architecture, that is reminiscent of the bygone era. Located at Boustead Avenue, in the High Park neighborhood, it still conducts prayers on a routine basis. In addition to prayer services and jummah, the mosque also offers Arabic classes for Muslim women. Have a look at their website to know more.
The Congregation Knesseth Israel, or the Junction Shul, is located in Toronto, Ontario. An Orthodox Jewish congregation, the Byzantine Revival synagogue building, planned by James Augustus Ellis is one of the oldest one functioning in the city. Built by the immigrant population from Poland and Russia, the synagogue served more than 200 Jewish families in its prime. Today, it holds services for holidays such as Yom Kippur, Chanukah, Shavout etc.
Known for its magnificent architecture, the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir at Toronto is a masterpiece in itself. A Hindu worship place, this temple was built over 18 months and encompasses a large area of 18 acres (7.28 hectares). Located in close proximity to Etobicoke, its open throughout the year, for worship and visits alike. Displaying a royal sense of architecture, it makes use of 24,000 pieces of hand-carved marble, Indian pink stone and Turkish limestone. Open for visits throughout the day, the temple also boasts of a haveli, or a cultural center, along with a Hindu heritage museum. Dedicated to Bhagwan Swaminarayan, the temple has a beautiful idol, that is centrally located in the building. Worship prayers, traditional rituals and devotional rites are conducted at the temple on a routine basis.