Set Current Location
The Parliament building houses the Norwegian Storting (Parliament) and dates back to 1866. The magnificent building was designed by the renowned architect Emil Victor Langlet. The facade is a beautiful blend of styles, mainly inspired from Italy and France. Visitors can enroll themselves for a guided tour of the entire structure. Private tours for groups can also be arranged upon request. The tours last approximately one hour. Admission is free.
In 1849 Hamburg's great city planner Alexis de Chateauneuf won the competition to build a church for the Congregation of the Trinity. The building has a cruciform plan, crowned at the center with a copper-plated dome and a lantern at the apex. The Church of the Trinity was consecrated in 1858 and the entrance staircase was added in 1883. Inside you will find an altarpiece depicting Christ being baptized and a marble baptismal font. The church was re-consecrated in 1958 and after a thorough renovation was re-opened to the public in 1997.
A symbol of Norwegian opulence, the Slottet og Slottsparken or the Royal Palace and its imperial gardens have been the centerpiece of Oslo's sweeping cityscape since 1849. Constructed in the Neoclassical style, the lavishly-decorated palace has been the primary residence of Norwegian monarchs. Designed by celebrated Norwegian architect Hans Linstow, the palace features a grandiose facade with Corinthian columns. A magnificent statue of a horse-mounted King Charles III stands high on a pedestal on the square in front of the palace, completing the regal setting. The annual National Day parade in Oslo, that passes the Royal Palace on its way is one of the few times when the royal family makes a public appearance to greet the proud Norwegians on the happy occasion.
This striking waterside fortress was originally conceived as an opulent royal residence, but later fortified for military needs. The magnificent Akershus Fortress was originally built in the 1290s to guard Oslo's vulnerable eastern waterfront against invaders while accommodating the royal family of Norway. Over the years it has performed crucial roles like operating as the country's primary military base and seat of the government with distinction; however these days it is mainly used for hosting important official functions. Some of the fortress' most popular attractions include Akershus Castle church, the armory door and the royal mausoleum where King Haakon VII and Olav V were buried alongside Queen Maud and Märtha.
This handsome building on Drammensveien near the Royal Palace is the home of the Norwegian Nobel Committee. Every year the Committee selects a Peace Prize winner, based on the criteria that Alfred Nobel (the Swede who left a fund for an annual Peace Prize) specified in his will. Up to 1946, the Peace Prize was awarded at the Institute, but today, the award ceremony takes place in Oslo's Town Hall. The ceremony takes place on 10 December every year, to mark the day of Alfred Nobel's death in 1896.
Gamle Aker Kirke is one of Oslo's oldest building, constructed on a countryside hill around the early first century, using limestone quarried from the nearby cemetery. The expansion of the city has caught up with the church, and now it lies only a ten-minute walk from the Royal Palace. The Baroque bishop's throne and baptismal font date from 1715. Today's austere stone walls were uncovered in the 1952 to 1955 restoration. Attending Mass here still takes your mind back to medieval times. During World War II, Queen Maud's sarcophagus was hidden from the Nazis inside this church.
In the heart of Old Town, and dating back one thousand years, these ruins were Oslo's first settlement. Middelalderparken known as Medieval Park in English, is now a heritage site that transforms into a popular park during the summer months. Various entertaining events are staged here every month. The park contains the remnants of one of the best preserved ancient sites in Oslo: the former royal estate, St. Mary's Church and St. Clement's Church.
Frogner Kirke is a magnificent church, made of granite and brick, that was sanctified in 1907. This beautiful structure was designed by renowned architect Ivar Naess. The alter and windows of this church comprise of colorful stainglass with images of saints and angels. The church has two bells, each tolling a verse scripted by the first priest Thorvald Klaveness. While visiting Frogner district, drop by at this church to view its splendor or spend some quiet time in prayer.
Considered to be one of the masterpieces of Neo-Gothic architecture in Norway, the Oscarshall slott, or palace, can be found on the peninsular protrusion of Bygdøy in the western part of the city. This tribute to the aesthetic sense of Norwegian royalty was built by Danish architect Johan Henrik Nebelong, under the orders of King Oscar I and Queen Josephine, and was completed in 1852. The castle was sold to the Norwegian government in 1863 by King Charles IV, and since 1881 it has been a popular attraction for tourists and architecture enthusiasts. Also operating as a museum, the castle's interiors are a testament to the talents of Norway's fine artists, who had decorated its rooms. See the website to know more.
One of the city's largest cemeteries, Vestre Gravlund was initially built to serve all of western Oslo. It was consecrated in 1902 after the land was acquired from various farms and many expansions have been made since then, particularly in the 1920s and 1930s. Well-known Norwegians buried here include Martin Linge (from the Second World War), General Otto Ruge, writer Nini Roll Anker and prime minister Trygve Bratteli. This place contains the largest concentration in Oslo of graves from the Second World War. There are many monuments and hundreds of soldiers' graves who all fought in Norway, mostly from the Soviet Republic (331) and Britain (102), but also Danes, Yugoslavians, Dutchmen, Poles and Swedes, as well as Norwegian soldiers. This graveyard is very close to the Vigeland Park.
Located at the northwest Drobak sound, Oscarsborg Fortress will surely take you by surprise. It is named after the famous King Oscar after his visit in the 1855. The interesting history it carries with it, dates back to the 1800's; the oldest buildings built in 1846 and 1853. The main idea of building this fortress was protection from the possible attacks. This fortress also features a wide number of entertainment venues, exhibitions, art galleries, restaurants as well as spas and recreation activities for children. Call ahead for detailed information.