Set Current Location
The renowned historian James Hardiman laid the foundation stone of the present St. Augustine church in August 1855. This neo-gothic church took four years to build and eventually opened its doors in September 1859. As you enter the church the Augustinian crest can be seen on the mosaic floor. It reads, in Latin, "Tolle Lege" which means "Take up and Read", and comes from a discussion with St. Augustine after he read Paul's letter to the Romans. Oak panelling surrounds the high altar and dates from 1855, although some alterations were made in the late 1960's and early 1970's. The tabernacle was enshrined and the stained glass window over the main altar was replaced. The ceiling was also reconstructed with cedar wood, although the ancient roof supports still remain. The organ is a magnificent focal point; it was constructed and installed by the famous Dublin organ builder, William Telford in 1868. Mass times are: 7p Saturdays and 9a, 11a, 12p and 6.30p Sundays.
This church was built and dedicated to St. Nicholas, the patron saint of the traveler, in 1320. Following a successful petition to Pope Innocent VIII in 1484, the church was rendered collegiate and was controlled by a warden and eight vicars. The structure itself has been repeatedly rebuilt and renovated, and the tower wasn't built until the early 1500s. These changes were partly because this church changed hands a number of times between the Catholic and the Anglican communions. St. Nicholas' Church contains fine examples of Galway's medieval stone carvings, many of which are carved on the ornate tombs. This church is also renowned as the place where Christopher Columbus offered his last prayers before his epic journey to the New World. Services still take place here each Sunday.
Possibly the most impressive building in Galway, this was the last great stone cathedral constructed in Western Europe. The Cathedral is dedicated to Our Lady Assumed into Heaven and overlooks the Salmon Weir Bridge. The Renaissance-style building was opened and consecrated by the late Cardinal Cushing in 1965 and stands on the site of the old city jail. It is not particularly antiquated, yet still corresponds with conventional church design and features a marble floor and brown cedar ceiling. The woodwork, stained glass and mosaics were all handcrafted by Irishmen.