Set Current Location
Built in 1790, this is the oldest brick house surviving in Richmond. For 45 years it was the home of the third Chief Justice of the United States, John Marshall. Restored as a museum, it contains original home furnishings and artifacts from Marshall's professional life. This a must-see for all history lovers.
The Museum and White House of the Confederacy is a neoclassical mansion built in 1818. President Jefferson Davis lived here during the Civil War years, and several pieces of furniture owned by him are on display. Adjacent to the restored White House is a museum containing more than 15,000 artifacts and 500 flags from the Confederate era. The collection includes the swords and other personal effects of Generals Jackson, Lee and Stuart. Personal papers, government documents, journals and rare books are on exhibit.
The American Civil War Center at Historic Tredegar chronicles the savagery of the 19th-century American Civil War through its exhibits and displays. Discussions and analysis of the cause, effect, and legacy of the civil war are held here. Audio-visual content documenting episodes of the war are also available to visitors. The center's fantastic location by the James River in the heart of Richmond makes it one of the most noticeable and visited spots. Rental spaces at the center are much sought after. The scenic riverside backdrop and the elegant interiors make it an ideal venue for weddings and bashes.
The original draft of Edgar Allan Poe's famous poem, "The Raven," along with other memorabilia of the life of this unusual writer, is on display in this museum. Poe grew up in Richmond and made frequent visits to the city throughout his life. The author's mysterious death is as intriguing as the tales he wrote. It was in Richmond that he was last seen before he was discovered, beaten and delirious, in Baltimore. He died shortly afterwards. The Poe Museum, housed in Richmond's oldest stone building. Admission: USD6 adults; USD5 seniors and students.
The Virginia Holocaust Museum was founded in 1997 by Al Rosenbaum, Mark Fetter, and Jay Ipson, one of Richmond's youngest Holocaust survivors. The museum's mission is to educate others on the Holocaust and the terror of genocide. Visitors are led throughout the museum by painted train tracks to not only learn about the holocaust as a whole, but also the personal account of the Ipson family and their ordeal. In addition, you will learn about other survivors who have settled in Richmond. Engage in the films, guided tours, programs, and lectures that are provided. Note: due to the certain graphic nature of select content, this might not be the best place for young children. Admission is free but donations are greatly appreciated.
This Tudor house once overlooked the Irwell River in Lancashire, England. In 1929, it was moved to this site, reminiscent of the original, overlooking the James River in Richmond's Windsor Farms neighborhood. Agecroft contains furnishings dating back from 1485 to 1660, including an interesting 1610 lantern clock that tells time only on the hour. Landscape artist Charles Gillette designed the gardens, which include an Elizabethan knot garden that blooms with fragrant and medicinal plants. When you visit Agecroft, you are stepping back in time and into the lives of gentry in the English Tudor period. Guided tours are available for the museum and the gardens are self-guided.