Set Current Location
Dating back to 1901 and built by the “Father of Fort Lauderdale,” Stranahan House is also referred to as the Pioneer House. In 1984, this mansion was opened for public viewing as a house museum and almost 10,000 tourists visit this landmark annually. Now a historic riverside museum, the elegantly restored house contains antiques, turn-of-the-century furnishings and old photographs of the area. It is also an example of classic Florida Frontier architecture. The house has previously been used as a post office, town hall and general store. The events hosted here includes tours, the Pineapple Jam, the Peter Pan Pirate Party and more. This lovely museum can also be hired for private events and special celebrations.
The Fort Lauderdale History Center is run by the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society and is a historic museum complex that comprises of three well preserved 19th-century buildings. The 1905 New River Inn is the main history museum with period artifacts, dioramas and photos. The 1907 King-Cromartie House gives visitors a glimpse of an early 20th-century home. The center offers programs for children which include hands-on re-enactments, schoolhouse classes, guided tours of exhibits in the museum of history, guided walking tours of the grounds and lectures throughout the year.
This cultural and educational museum was built in 1924 and originally served as the first school in Fort Lauderdale for African-Americans. The Old Dillard Museum has now been restored as a community historic landmark. Today, it contains African-related artifacts including art, jewelry and tribal masks. The museum also features a live storyteller, who shares his tales of Africa from inside a thatched hut. It not only preserves the African culture but also provides an insight to the visitors about the rich history and culture. The museum hosts varied activities throughout the year and that includes lectures, workshops and classes.
The Link Trainer Building in Fort Lauderdale, Florida became the Naval Air Station Fort Lauderdale Museum. It is of great importance, having served as one of the 257 air stations in World War II. It aims at the preservation of national as well as international naval air artifacts in a way that educates the public. The museum was dismantled in 1998 and relocated to its current location in 1999. The research library offers a great deal of knowledge via more than 3000 volumes touching various aspects of history.