Set Current Location
After Duke Otto converted this building into a hospital, it wasn't again converted into a church until 1327. In the 18th century, the interior was designed by the Asam brothers, who are famous for their works in the Church of St. John Nepomuk, also popularly known as Asam Church. The church suffered severe damage during the war, but its structure was successfully restored. Though most noted and celebrated artworks here are the Hammerthaler Madonna (1450) and the Late Gothic crucifix (1510), the church on the whole, is truly beautiful with its magnificent frescoes, the high alter and the relics.
St Peter's Church, also known fondly as Alter Peter (Old Peter) is the oldest parish church in Munich. The visitor who climbs the 306 steps to the top will have an incomparable view of the city and on a clear day, the Alps look close enough to touch. St. Peter's was named after the old hill on which it stands, the Petersberg. There was a chapel on the site earlier which was then replaced with a Romanesque structure in the 11th Century and later a Gothic building. In the 14th Century, the double-tower was redeveloped to form the single tower facade of the church which remains today. Over the centuries, St. Peter's underwent even more changes, mainly in the Baroque and Rococo periods.
Architecture-lovers can thank Henriette Adelaide of Savoy, wife of Elector Ferdinand Maria, for the construction of Theatinerkirche Sankt Kajetan church, which she was promised in return for the birth of a male successor. Construction of the church was supervised by architect Zucalli and Spinelli, who devised the magnificent baroque dome. The building is dominated by conical towers with bulging spiral roofs. In 1768, the facade was remodeled in the Rococo style by François Cuvilliés the Elder. Faisenberg's carved wooden pulpit is the most striking feature in the pale stone interior.
Set against a clear blue sky, the towers of the Frauenkirche (Church of our Lady) form Munich's most celebrated landmark. The distinctive towers, built in 1525, make the church of considerable architectural interest as they are considered to be the precursors of the Renaissance style. The church itself was designed by Gothic architect Jörg von Halsbach in 1468. Its size is imposing, but its simplicity and symmetry rule out any suggestion of ostentation. The interior is mainly Gothic, but the altars were redesigned in the 18th Century under Baroque influence.
One of the most significant Renaissance churches north of the Alps, St. Michael's was originally built for the Jesuits. The inside is lavishly decorated and home to the second largest free-standing vaults in the world. There is an interesting answer as to why the church does not have a tower: when the first tower was destroyed while being built, Duke William V took it as a bad omen and built a much larger church, but without a tower. In the so-called royal vault, visitors will come across the resting place of 40 members of the Wittelsbacher royal family.
A beautiful symbol of perseverance, this quiet Baroque church which was built by the Cosmas brothers in the 18th Century has an entrance that is framed by raw rock. Once you enter you may be surprised, for the interior is exquisite. The walls are red stucco and marble which is one reason that this church is regarded as a pioneering example of German late-Baroque architecture. The fresco "Life of Saint Nepomuk" is believed to be one of Cosmas Damian Asam's masterpieces. Unlike other churches, Asam church's altar is in the west. The choir was damaged in 1944 and has since been restored.
St Ludwig's Church was built in the New Roman-Byzantine style and boasts of monumental wall paintings. Located opposite the Theatinerkirche St. Kajetan, St Ludwig's towers high over Schellingstrasse. The interior, with frescos by Peter von Cornelius, exudes a peaceful, romantic atmosphere. The fresco 'Das jüngste Gericht', a copy of Michelangelo's 'Jüngstes Gericht' in Rome, is one of the largest frescos ever painted. St.Ludwig's was built during 1829-44 by Friedrich Gärtner and acted as both the university and parish church. It was built at the request of King Ludwig I, who wished a church to be built on the newly constructed Ludwigstraße. The church was heavily damaged during the war, and repair work took until 1958 to complete. Nowadays, St Ludwig's basks in all its splendor.