Set Current Location
The spectacular facade of St.Paul's Church is a landmark and also a unique anomaly in Frankfurt. Paulskirche (St. Paul's Church) became famous not as a church, but as a meeting place. Built to replace the Barfüßerkirche, it was opened in 1833. The first freely-elected German parliament sat here in 1848. It met 99 times and passed 59 articles which are still part of the German constitution today. Destroyed in an air-raid in 1944, the church was rebuilt immediately after World War II as a memorial to the aftermath of war. The hall is now a venue for important events such as the annual German Peace Prize ceremony and the City of Frankfurt's Goethe Prize awards.
The Alte Nikolaikirche (Old Nikolai Church) can be found in the southern section of Frankfurt's Römerberg for centuries. Initially designed as a chapel for the neighboring Stauferpfalz Palace, the church was later used for mass and prayer by the town council. In the 15th Century, the building underwent changes and the watchtower was made higher to enable watchmen to signal to ships on the river from the top of the tower. Members of the council could also watch the festivities on the Römerberg from the extended rooftop. A hundred years later, this place of worship was turned into a warehouse and silo. Today, the facade of the late Gothic, doubled-naved church is painted in its original colors of white and red.
In the 14th Century, a rich Frankfurt patrician erected a chapel next to the city walls. The chapel was later extended into a Gothic hall with a bell tower called Liebfrauenkirche. During the 18th Century, the inside of the church received ornate rococo fittings, and during the 19th Century, the Three Kings portal was given a vestibule. After severe damage in the War, the whole place was rebuilt in 1954. A wooden roof has now replaced the Gothic original, and from the original interior, only the figures on the altar remain.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe was baptized at this simple church in downtown Frankfurt. The baroque church was constructed in 1678-1681 on the remains of what used to be a monastery. It was completely destroyed and rebuilt shortly after World War II, although the splendid interior decor could not be restored. The outside of the building is now all that is left of this great church. Today, the church works to support the homeless, who come here for shelter and a warm meal.
Built between 1460 and 1520, this historic monastery is worth a visit for its architecture alone. Yet there is much more to see than just thick brick walls. The refectory is considered to be one of the most beautiful Renaissance-period buildings in the city, and Joerg Ratgeb's frescos in the hallway rank among the most important wall-paintings in the whole of Europe. After the last monks (of the Karmeliter Order) left the monastery in 1803, it was turned into a military barracks. Nowadays, Karmeliterkloster is home to the Museum of Early History, the Institute of Urban History and a public art gallery.
Situated near Main River, the Imperial Cathedral of Saint Bartholomew is one of the most historically rich monuments in the city. Its Gothic style structure has become a part of Frankfurt's skyline. With its origins dating back to 7th Century BCE, the church is steeped in Roman history. The cathedral is renowned for being a coronation church for Roman emperors from the years 1562 to 1792. Withstanding the Second World War, the church was rebuilt in the 1970s. Housing several relics and prized possessions, the sculpture by Hans Backoffen depicting a scene of Christ's crucifixion is a masterpiece belonging to the early Renaissance period. While its status as an imperial church declined after the Roman Empire's fall, it became a beacon of national integrity after the 19th Century.
The Mainz Cathedral is an architectural and historical marvel that is a must-visit while in the city. Known by different names like Martinsdom and more popularly St. Martin's Cathedral, it is situated close to the old town and serves as one of the major landmarks of Mainz. With a history going back to over a thousand years, this Roman Catholic monument exhibits an array of architectural styles. However, it remains a fine example of Romanesque architecture, even though it received several designs and structural alterations over the centuries. The cathedral interiors are home to ornate plaques and tombs of erstwhile reigning Electoral-prince-archbishops. Several arresting turn-of-the-century religious artworks adorn its high walls. The statues of The Madonna and Saint Boniface are focal points of its sprawling grounds.