Set Current Location
Watched over by the Madonnina, the cathedral's high marble spires represent the city's most famous artistic and religious monument. The dimensions of Christendom's third-biggest church are still awe-inspiring, spanning 108 meters (354.3 feet) high and 158 meters (518.3 feet) long. A range of architectural styles feature the doorways of the 17th Century, the central balcony from the late 18th Century and the three main upper windows which are early 19th Century pieces by Carlo Amati. The Gothic cathedral's vast interior is grand with its impressive pillars, vaults, streamlined arches and wonderful statuary surrounding the nave. Light filters in through a crevice in the wall, positioning itself on the sundial that frames its main entrance. Gleaming statues carved out of Condoglian marble are perched atop its spires. Whether one is seeking religious fulfillment or is simply sightseeing, the Duomo leaves one spellbound.
Dating back to 1778 as a fitting replacement for the Teatro Ducale, the stately Teatro Alla Scala has since come to be one of opera's most legendary venues. The historic theater has hosted most of Italy's operatic masters alongside renowned international artists. Designed by noted architect, Giuseppe Piermarini, the theater's neoclassical facade has a palatial theater with six tiers of private boxes, topped by an intricate ceiling. Home to the prestigious La Scala Theater Orchestra, La Scala Theater Ballet and La Scala Theater Chorus, it remains one of the city's liveliest cultural venues. Apart from operas, the theater also hosts plays, ballet shows and numerous other cultural events throughout the year.
Belgioioso Palace was designed in 1772 by Piermarini for Prince Alberico XII Barbiano di Belgiojoso as a new residence. The building has a main courtyard and two secondary courtyards: the façade is particularly interesting, with a giant order of half columns and pilaster strips above a rusticated ashlar ground floor, and terminating in a large cornice and gable. The entrance is heightened by the projecting central volume. The coherence of the design extends to the interior decoration and furnishings, also designed by Piermarini. Feature of interest: On the first floor there is a chapel with lobate central plan, and a powder-room, also central-plan.
The Pinacoteca di Brera is located in a 1615 building constructed by Francesco Maria Richini. The gallery was founded in 1776, and it holds important works by Italian and foreign masters from 1400 to 1900. Of special note are the paintings by Vincenzo Foppa, Lorenzo Lotto, Paolo Veronese, Tintoretto, Giovanni Bellini, Andrea Mantegna, Tiziano, Correggio, Bramante, Gentile da Fabriano, Piero della Francesca, Caravaggio, Rubens, Hayez. This is the permanent home of Sposalizio della Vergine by Raffaello, the Cristo morto by Andrea Mantegna, Madonna and Saints by Piero della Francesca and the Madonna in trono e Santi by Ercole Dè Roberti. There are a bookshop and a cafeteria, and guided tours are available. It is located within the city's notable palace Palazzo di Brera which was constructed by architect, Francesco Maria Ricchino, in a Milanese Baroque style.
Founded in 1953, the Museo Nazionale della Scienza e della Tecnologia Leonardo da Vinci includes 28 distinct galleries dedicated to all aspects of science and technology, including the spectacular collection of the creations of Leonardo da Vinci. From transportation to astronomy and modern high technology, the scope of this museum ranks it among the most important in the world. The artifacts inside this museum provide a fascinating look into physical sciences.
Commissioned by Ludovico di Moro and designed by Guiniforte Solari, this building was intended as a mausoleum for the Sforzesco dynasty, in which the remains of the duke and his wife, Beatrice d'Este, as well as others connected with the family, were to be laid to rest. The adjoining Dominican convent's cloister and sacristy were later renovated by Bramante. This is of particular interest as is the gallery's terracotta ornamentation, which became one of the main motifs in northern Italian Renaissance architecture. One of the most famous paintings, The Last Supper is housed here.
Designed by S.G. Locati from 1895-1896 for Pietro Reininghaus from Graz, a beer brewer and importer, this building is a free interpretation of late 19th century Viennese architecture. The brief provided by the owner included a large public beerhouse on the ground floor, on the façade towards the piazza, with rooms on the mezzanine floor, and a café-theatre covered by a large canopy in iron and glass alongside the main building, which is still visible inside the offices of the Banca Popolare di Milano. On the outside, the façade consists of a stone basement mounted by three floors built in brick, and a contracted top floor which was added after the Second World War.