Set Current Location
You'd have to try hard to miss this museum, given that it sits right on Red Square. At the entrance there's always someone dressed as Ivan the Terrible or Lenin offering themselves for a photo with you. The museum was established in 1894, and was closed for ten years until the mid 1990s for extensive renovation. Inside, there are various exhibitions dedicated to the sweeping richness of Russian history, from mammoth tusks and bronze age relics to Soviet era posters. The museum is closed on the first Monday of every month.
Architect Alexei Shchusev (who built this imposing mausoleum on Red Square in 1930) modeled it on the ziggurat terraced temples of the ancient Assyrians and Babylonians. Inside, visitors file round the embalmed body of the leader of the Russian Revolution, Vladiamr I. Lenin. The material used for the exterior is mostly dark-red granite and grey and black labradorite. The colors are in perfect harmony with the red bricks of the Kremlin Wall that looms in the background. It measures 12 meters in height and 24 meters in length.
Possibly the most widely-recognized of Russia's architectural monuments, St. Basil's looms at the southern end of Red Square (Krasnaia Ploshchad') in all its multi-colored, multi-coned glory. The cathedral's real name is the Cathedral of the Intercession. It was built between 1555 and 1561 to commemorate the victory of Ivan the Terrible over the Tatars in Kazan. The cathedral was built near the grave of the so-called, “holy fool”, St. Basil the Blessed, hence its popular and widely-used name.
Russia's walled fortress contains much of the country's history, politics and religion. The walls were originally built from white stone, but were rebuilt in the late 15th Century with their distinctive red brick. Visit historic religious sites including the Cathedral of the Assumption (Uspenskii Sobor), Archangel's Cathedral (Arkhangelskii Sobor), palaces (most notably the Patriarch's Palace (Patriarshii Dvorets), museums, and of course the official residence of the country's President. Entry to all attractions is via the Kutafia Tower (Kutaf'ia Bashnia) on the southern side.
Architect Aloisio da Carezano from Milan built this tower in 1516 to protect the far end of the Moscow Kremlin's main bridge-way across the River Neglinnaia. The construction in 1685 of a crowning wall with big, open windows brought the tower to its present-day height of 13.5 meters. The tower is strong with a greater width, giving the whole brick-and-limestone structure its characteristic squat look and hence its name kutaf'ia, which literally means, 'obese woman' in Russian dialects.
The Alexander Gardens were developed between 1820 and 1823 and run along the west wall of the Kremlin. The gardens occupy an area of about 865 meters (2838 feet). In his attempt to make the gardens as distinctive as possible, Osip Bove combined an orderly plan with the free arrangement of trees plus elements of romantic-style gardens. The gardens are bordered by decorative iron railings. Locals and foreign tourists often come to the gardens to visit the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Being a popular public spot, the garden is open throughout the year.
Originally catered for the rich and famous of Russian history, Sanduny Bathhouse is Moscow's oldest and best bath house. The architecture and ambiance is still maintained with the same grandeur that speaks of royalty as envisioned by the Russian czars. Upon entering, visitors will find the same Royal atmosphere of the nineteenth century along with modern facilities and equipment to meet the worlds standards. The Sanduny Bathhouse has three sections for men and two for women. The restaurant here is a big attraction too. With its three beautiful dining halls, it serves Russian, Uzbek, and Chinese cuisine. If you are in doubt about what to order after a hot steam bath, then the experts advise a mug of cold beer, rye kvass with horse radish, honey wine, or a tumbler of ice-cold Smirnoff vodka served with pickled mushrooms from Russia"s Vladimir region, or sweet milk mushrooms and rye bread. Truly an experience fit for a king!
Pavel Tretiakov, collector of some the best work of contemporary artists in Moscow and St. Petersburg, founded this gallery in 1856. His brother Sergei collected French and Dutch masters, and in 1872 they combined their collections and opened this extremely popular museum named as The State Tretyakov Gallery (Tret'iakovskaia Galereia). In 1892 it was donated to the city of Moscow, and lives on with works by famous Russian painters such as Vasilii Perov, Ivan Kramskoi and Ilia Repin.
The museum was founded in 1992 on the initiative of artist Viktor Penzin. It is located in a building formerly occupied by an art and publishing centre. The museum is dedicated to a traditional form of Russian engraving - lubok - that originated in the 18th century. The history of this particular way of making pictures is an important aspect of the history of Russian visual arts. The permanent exhibition presents early Russian engravings from the 18th century. Highlights include the only lubok copy of the Bible, and engravings by notable artists such as Venetsianov and Malevich.
Gorky Park (referred to as Park Kul'tury i Otdykha or Park of Culture and Recreation) stretches along three kilometers of the Moskva river to the southwest of the city center. The park became known to the Western public thanks to a blockbuster movie based on Martin Cruz Smith's (Cold War) best-selling book, Gorky Park, and the Scorpions' famous song. Laid down in 1928, the original ornamental gardens are now accompanied by an entertainment zone, hosting everything from science lectures to rock concerts in its auditorium.
This building was once the home of the novelist Fyodor Dostoyevsky (from 1821 to 1837 where he spent his childhood before moving to St. Petersburg at the age of 16). This apartment (in the former Moscow Marinskii Hospital for the Poor) holds a few clues to Dostoyevsky's personality and beliefs. The museum was founded right after the October Revolution of 1917. Its interior still contains the original furniture, which was donated by Dostoyevsky's widow and brother in 1928. While the apartment is typical for the beginning of the 19th Century, it has unusually dark corners and wooden partitions instead of doors, befitting the brooding nature of the author's works.
The Memorial Museum of Cosmonautics is located under a stunning 100 meter (328 feet) high titanium monument, built in 1964 and dedicated to the first artificial satellite launched from Earth. Six main displays illustrate the major events in Russian astronautic history. You can see the first satellites, a vehicle for research on the surface of the moon, landing apparatus, space suits, and even food for the astronauts. Also of interest is the hallway of the fascinating sci-fi artwork painted by famous and young Russian artists. The cinema hall shows short documentary videos and a slide film about astronautics.