Set Current Location
Although construction did not begin until 1749, this cathedral was established in 1731 by the Canary/Spanish Islanders, who sought to build their own place of worship. It is one of the oldest cathedral sanctuaries in the United States. The famous Alamo defender James Bowie was married here and during the siege of the Alamo Santa Anna used it as an observation post. Notable historic figures Bowie, William Travis and Davy Crockett are buried here. The cathedral still draws huge crowds for Mass and always welcomes visitors.
The cornerstone of St. Mark's was laid in 1859, but the onset of the Civil War delayed construction. Work resumed in 1873 and the first service was held on Easter Sunday in 1875. An interesting note about St. Mark's Episcopal Church is that Lyndon Baines Johnson and Claudia "Lady Bird" Taylor were wed at this location on November 17, 1934. This was also the first Episcopal Cathedral built west of the Mississippi River. The first Sunday service is the 7:45a Holy Eucharist. At 8a, breakfast is offered for a small charge, while another Holy Eucharist is offered at 9a. The children's chapel is also in service at 9a. At 10:10a, an all-age-group Sunday School is offered. The third Holy Eucharist takes place at 11a and is followed by 'Tea Under the Trees'. If you are looking for a traditional Episcopalian service in a very historical church, this may be just the place for you to visit.
This mission, located at the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park, was founded in 1720 by Father Antonio Margil de Jesús. It was the largest mission and the main center for cultural and social activities. Hence it was labeled as the ‘Queen of Missions'. A large part of the church was destroyed over the years. The existing Rose Window is one of the finer pieces of architecture belonging to the Spanish colonial era. Some of the few remnants include the arches that once gave shelter to the missionaries, the Convento area and a part of the irrigation ditch, which is visible outside the compound. The church still functions and visitors are permitted to attend the Sunday mass.