Originally the Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens comprised of 3,000 acres (1214.06 hectares) in 1916 and was built amid 1912-1915 for F. A. Seiberling. It featured a Tudor Revival 65-room Manor House and the largest landscape gardens. Today the grand estate has seized down to 70 acres (28.33 hectares) yet is one of the most elegant mansions and ornate gardens of the country. The mansion is one of the best examples of Tudor Revival architecture and has well kept period decor that gives a glimpse of a bygone era. The themed gardens such as the Breakfast Room Garden, English Garden, Birch Allee Vista, Japanese Garden, Lagoon and The Dell are a delight to all visitors. The Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens also houses the Corbin Conservatory, a beautiful Gothic style greenhouse and the Gate Lodge where Alcoholics Anonymous took form. Home to the Ohio Shakespeare Festival and The Annual Classic, Antique & Collector Car Show, a visit to this magnificent place is a must when in the city.
Constructed in 1837, the Perkins Stone Mansion belonged to Colonel Simon Perkins, who was the son of Akron's founder General Simon Perkins. This historic house museum is now maintained by the Summit County Historical Society of Akron and is also their headquarters. One of the most striking Greek Revival style houses in the area, the repository is decked with period furnishing telling the story of its past residents, city and county.
This entertainment home that is spread over less than one acre of land, is the Akron Civic Theatre, which was previously referred to as Loew's Theater. Built using the Italian Renaissance style, the theater is said to be an excellent example of the great movie palaces of the early days i.e. the 1920s. Serving the visitors as the first theater of the County, the theater appeals to the public through its Broadway shows, dance performances and other shows.
The historic parcel of land that Hale Farm & Village is built on was donated to The Western Reserve Historical Society by Clara Belle Ritchie. Historic buildings from around the country were relocated to the land to create a living history museum and village called Wheatfield. Visitors will learn about life during the Civil War and the history of the region. Exhibits relating to fashion, technology, and other subjects can be seen here as well.
The St. Bernard Catholic Church is serving the Akron region since 1861, and continues to do so. This church building perfectly exemplifies the German-Romanesque style combined with Baroque designs. It was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
The Goodyear Airdock is a historic airship construction, storage and maintenance facility in Akron, Ohio. The complex was built in 1929 by the Wilbur Watson Engineering Co. and covers as much area as eight football fields, making it one of the most spacious buildings when it was first created. The site is a Historic Civil Engineering Landmark and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Established in the year 1825, the credit for laying the foundations of Akron as seen today goes to Paul Williams and Simon Perkins. Named after the Greek word for Summit, Akron's economy revolves around biomedical research, education, manufacturing and healthcare. The city also has a robust history of tire and rubber production, because of which Akron is referred to as "Rubber Capital of the World".
Established in 1839, the Glendale Cemetery is worth a visit for its splendid architecture and garden. This peaceful and serene space has exquisite mausoleums, a Gothic Chapel and a beautifully maintained garden. It also has special memorial for the Civil War and monument dedicated to John R. Buchtel. For more details, check website.
Cascade Locks Historic District ravine is located to the northwest of Akron. There are many historic buildings in the District, landmarks within the district include the original mills of Quaker Oats founder, Ferdinand Schumacher and The Mustill Store.