Momentanen Aufenthaltsort festlegen
A visitor to Galway in 1614 noted the city's prosperous appearance. He was especially struck by the elegant townhouses with finely cut stone facades, fortified with "faire battlement, in an uniform course". These houses would have been owned by Galway's leading merchant families, the "fourteen tribes of Galway". The Lynch family were one of the leading "tribes". Lynch's Castle (now an Allied Irish Bank) is one of the best examples of a 16th century townhouse. The finely cut stone lintels, coat of arms and fine stone fireplaces in the interior are well worth a look.
Diese Kirche wurde 1320 erbaut und ist St. Nikolaus, dem Schutzpatron der Reisenden, gewidmet. Im Anschluss an eine erfolgreiche Petition an Papst Innozenz VIII im Jahre 1484 wurde die Kirche zum Stift gemacht und von einem Aufseher und acht Vikaren geleitet. Das Gebäude selbst wurde mehrfach umgebaut und renoviert und der Turm wurde erst in den frühen 1500er gebaut. Grund dafür ist der häufige Wechsel zwischen der katholischen und der anglikanischen Kommunion. St. Nicholas Church verfügt über einige schöne Beispiele von den mittelalterlichen Galway-Steinmetzarbeiten, von denen viele auf kunstvollen Gräbern geschnitzt wurden. Diese Kirche ist auch bekannt als der Ort, wo Christopher Columbus sein letztes Gebet vor seiner epischen Reise in die Neue Welt sprach. Gottesdienste finden immer noch jeden Sonntag statt.
Originally called the "Fair Green," in 1710 Mayor Edward Eyre, who had inherited this area of land from his father, donated it to the city. The square named in the former mayor's honor is in the heart of Galway city and is one of its largest open spaces. In the center of the square is the John F. Kennedy Memorial commemorating the president's visit in 1963. It was here that the president addressed the people of Galway and there is a bronze plaque commemorating his visit. In fact, the square was officially renamed in his honor, but locals continue to call it by its more popular name.
Taibhdhearc Theatre was first leased from the Augustinian Fathers by Hilton Edwards. After being refurbished it opened its doors to audiences in August 1928 with a production of "Diarmuid and Gráinne" by Micheál MacLiammóir. Since this date Galway has had a theater which presents plays in the Irish language. The theater also regularly features regular musicals and opera. Many luminaries have appeared at the Taibhdhearc, including playwright and novelist Walter Macken, poet Máirtin Ó Direáin, distinguished actress Siobhán McKenna and actor Seán McClory.
Possibly the most impressive building in Galway, this was the last great stone cathedral constructed in Western Europe. The Cathedral is dedicated to Our Lady Assumed into Heaven and overlooks the Salmon Weir Bridge. The Renaissance-style building was opened and consecrated by the late Cardinal Cushing in 1965 and stands on the site of the old city jail. It is not particularly antiquated, yet still corresponds with conventional church design and features a marble floor and brown cedar ceiling. The woodwork, stained glass and mosaics were all handcrafted by Irishmen.
Initially called Queen's College Galway, National University of Ireland-Galway was designed and built by the architect J.B. Keane during the Great Famine, in the middle of the 19th century. However, it didn't open its doors to students until 1845. Women students were first permitted in 1906, and the first woman to receive an engineering degree in Ireland received it at this university. The campus has recently expanded to accommodate its increasing student body. Most of the university buildings range in age from the mid-19th century to the brand new Millennial Arts building. The original structure, a 19th-century, neo-Gothic quadrangle is well worth seeing. The Clock Tower is reminiscent of the Tom Tower at Christ Church, Oxford.