This basilica, the most important of the city, has been dedicated to main saint of Padua, San Antonio. It was built 8 centuries ago and from then on, it became one of the most important spiritual places of the Christian world. Antonio chose Padua as his permanent home in the period in which he was travelling all over Italy. The church is owned by the Vatican and it houses the tongue of the saint, an important holy relic.
Together, with the Basilica di Sant'Antonio, Palazzo della Ragione is a symbol of the city. Built in 1288, it is called the Salone, or lounge, because of its large room with its wooden vaulted ceiling (destroyed and rebuilt many times over the centuries), making it the largest undivided hall in the world. The piazza and the bustling daily market are dominated by its loggia. It was a real layman's center in the city. Justice was carried out in the upper rooms, adorned with frescoes of astrological depictions (perhaps even by Giotto). If the sentence was serious, the accused would be taken to one of the local prisons. The building also houses a large wooden horse that Annibale Capodilista had made for a merry-go-round and then donated to the city. On the ground floor, traditional commercial activities took place, as they still do today.
Home to the university since the 16th Century, the building dates back to the same time, and was then renovated in the 20th Century. The best preserved area is the interior courtyard, with its porticoes decorated with coats of arms of the noble families, to which the students belonged. It housed the first anatomical theater in the world (1594) and the desk of Galileo Galilei, teacher of mathematics. Hours vary as per season.
One of the most prominent squares in Padua is Piazza dei Signori. Surrounded by medieval houses on all sides, this rectangular Piazza provides great insight into the Renaissance era architecture. However, the main attraction here is the clock tower, which can be called the crowning jewel of this famous square.
Prato della Valle is a square located in the city of Padova, Italy. Spread over a vast area of 90,000 meters (2,95,276 foot), the oval shaped square is the largest in the country. The square came into existence in the year 1635, when a temporary theater was built here. Thereafter, in the year 1775, the entire area was re-constructed to give the square it's current appearance. The square is beautifully designed with an island of grass in the center, surrounded by a ring of water. A total of 78 statues are placed at each side of the water ring. Today, the square forms an ideal meeting place with large number of people visiting the square to take a walk, skate or study. Festivals too are celebrated at the square.
Palazzo Zuckermann is one of the most famous palaces in the city of Padua. It was built during the years 1912 and 1914, in an era which demanded a new urban planning of the city, in order to give the city a more monumental aspect. The name comes from the last name of the man who commissioned the structure, in a XIXth century style, with a liberty front, and it hosts in its courtyard the old walls of the city. Nowadays it is the seat of two museums: the Museo Bottacin and the Museum of Applied and Decorative Arts.
The great Contarini-Camerini villa in Piazzola sul Brenta and its characteristic landscapes are quite original in respect to the more traditional Villa Veneta. The villa's archives consisting mainly of maps and drawings came from two fundamental periods: the 'Contarinian,' referring to the 15th-century acquisition of the former Carrarese estate, and the 'Camarinian' that dates back to 1852. The picture that emerges goes beyond that of a family archive. The archival heritage also includes hydraulic maps, measurements and land registry documents. The piazza opposite the villa holds a splendid antiques market on the last Sunday in every month.
Museo della Musica di Venezia is a place that is a must stop for music lovers from all over. This museum is a true hidden gem, and although it has free entry, you will rarely encounter crowds here. The guide takes you around the premises, which feature vintage musical instruments, Venice being a centre for music after all. String instruments of every kind, from harps to violins can be found here, with some as old as the late 1600s.
Palazzo Pisani Moretta is a two-storeyed palace that stands majestically facing the Grand Canal. Dating back to the 15th Century, this palace boasts of a light pink façade exhibiting Gothic floral architecture. Its most prominent features are its white windows with mullions and arches. Its interiors have been designed by famous historic artists of the Baroque period and hence the stairways, walls and ceilings exhibit distinct Baroque art and architecture. Some of these artists include Giuseppe Angeli, Gaspare Diziani, Giambattista Tiepolo and Jacopo Guarana. This palace has been graced by the likes of Holy Roman Emperor Joseph Il of Austria, Joséphine Bonaparte and Tzar Paul of Russia. Today, it hosts an annual masquerade and is open for public visits.
Bugno Art Gallery was established in 1991 by Massimiliano Bugno and is among the esteemed contemporary art galleries in town. Its floor-to-ceiling windows overlooks the Teatro La Fenice and it is near the Piazza San Marco. Their collection is a compilation of modern, contemporary and photographic works of acclaimed and emerging domestic as well as international artists. These include the likes of Mario Deluigi, Emilio Vedova, Giancarlo Franco, Mauro Cappelletti, Fabio Bianco, Andrés David Carrara, Giovanni Chiaramonte and Andrea Morucchio. This bi-level gallery is a popular stopover for art collectors and enthusiasts alike.
The saying of this theater is to present cinema, music and theater under only one roof. Is property of the order of the Salesiani. It can host up to 400 people and is part of the chain Microcinema, as are lately implementing digital screenings. The scheduling includes film for children during the week and the latest successes during the week end. Its stage is also available for concerts of jazz and rock music and for classes of theater.
Constructed over a period of 20 years in the middle of the 18th Century, this building was designed by architects Gerolamo Frigimelica and Francesco Maria Preti. The stable buildings are regal and the enormous house is set in dense parkland. The villa is home to one of Giambattista Tiepolo's most well-known frescoes, The Glories of the Pisani House, and was once home to Napoleon.