The historic parcel of land that Hale Farm & Village is built on was donated to The Western Reserve Historical Society by Clara Belle Ritchie. Historic buildings from around the country were relocated to the land to create a living history museum and village called Wheatfield. Visitors will learn about life during the Civil War and the history of the region. Exhibits relating to fashion, technology, and other subjects can be seen here as well.
Dr. Robert Smith House is a two-storied bungalow which dates back to 1914. The house belonged to Dr. Bob Smith; the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous. The house plays an important role in hosting many meetings during its formative years. The house was registered under the National Register of Historic Places in 1985 and as a National Historic Landmark in 2012. The building has been converted into a historic house museum and also has on display several artifacts that narrate the history of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Originally the Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens comprised of 3,000 acres (1214.06 hectares) in 1916 and was built amid 1912-1915 for F. A. Seiberling. It featured a Tudor Revival 65-room Manor House and the largest landscape gardens. Today the grand estate has seized down to 70 acres (28.33 hectares) yet is one of the most elegant mansions and ornate gardens of the country. The mansion is one of the best examples of Tudor Revival architecture and has well kept period decor that gives a glimpse of a bygone era. The themed gardens such as the Breakfast Room Garden, English Garden, Birch Allee Vista, Japanese Garden, Lagoon and The Dell are a delight to all visitors. The Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens also houses the Corbin Conservatory, a beautiful Gothic style greenhouse and the Gate Lodge where Alcoholics Anonymous took form. Home to the Ohio Shakespeare Festival and The Annual Classic, Antique & Collector Car Show, a visit to this magnificent place is a must when in the city.
Constructed in 1837, the Perkins Stone Mansion belonged to Colonel Simon Perkins, who was the son of Akron's founder General Simon Perkins. This historic house museum is now maintained by the Summit County Historical Society of Akron and is also their headquarters. One of the most striking Greek Revival style houses in the area, the repository is decked with period furnishing telling the story of its past residents, city and county.
Located in Akron, the Akron Zoo boasts of 700 animals spanning over 90 species! With almost 1 million visitors coming here every year, it is touted to be the most popular tourist attraction in the entire Summit County. The zoo is divided in to six sections that are symbolic of different parts of the globe. Also, there are various exhibits at the zoo like, The Legends of the Wild, The Komodo Kingdom, Jellies Rhythm, Journey to the Reef, Penguin Point and Tiger Valley.
This entertainment home that is spread over less than one acre of land, is the Akron Civic Theatre, which was previously referred to as Loew's Theater. Built using the Italian Renaissance style, the theater is said to be an excellent example of the great movie palaces of the early days i.e. the 1920s. Serving the visitors as the first theater of the County, the theater appeals to the public through its Broadway shows, dance performances and other shows.
The historic G.A.R. Hall was constructed in the year 1851 as the Republic Hall for the Grand Army. It was designed as a small seminary for Boston Township. It continued to be used as a education center till the year 1888. It was re-purposed as a meeting hall for Civil War soldiers later. It also served as a fine venue for parties, plays and weddings in the late 19th Century, apart from being the home turf of Peninsula Players. Operating as a civil war exposition space, G.A.R Hall exhibits a number of artifacts associated with the war years. Its historic rooms have been wonderfully redesigned and can be rented out for various kinds of events.
Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad was established in the 1970's and today is one of the oldest and most beautiful rail excursions in the country. Step aboard this historic train and take a ride through the scenic Cuyahoga Valley National Park and enjoy views of the magnificent rivers, valleys, forested areas, and meadows that will give you a new perspective and an admiration for the beauty of nature. Based on your choices, you can also enjoy some refreshing ales, fine wines, and delicious snacks on the tour aboard this historic train ride.
Peninsula Depot was built to function as the customer service center for the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad. The railroad is a privately operated tourist railway that makes it way through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, running between Independence and Akron. The rail route offers a beautiful view of the surrounding nature and wildlife. You will get information about the excursions at Peninsula Depot, which is one of the stops along this route. Tickets are also available at the depot.
Cuyahoga Valley National Park provides a world of natural wonders to explore just 20 kilometers (13 miles) away from the urban environs of Cleveland. The park's pristine wilderness is centered around the meandering Cuyahoga River. The river bisects the entire reserve in a clean sweep that spans nearly 33,000 acres (13354.62 hectares). This diverse topography shelters a wide range of native wildlife such as red foxes, Canadian geese, Great Blue herons, coyotes and white-tailed deer. Geological features include a system of cascading waterfalls, labyrinthine caves and hiking trails of varying difficulty levels. The Boston Store Visitor Center, the Towpath Trail, and the Ohio & Erie Canal are three of the park's most-frequented attractions.
Virginia Kendall State Park Historic District is a historical district known for its naturalistic landscape. Before being turned over to the city, it was used as a hunting retreat. Rustic lodges were built as proof for creating a Civilian Conservation Camp. The landscape comprises of sandstone ledges, comfort stations, shelters, meadows and man-made lakes surrounded by rocky hills.