Venice has only four bridges that traverse the famous Grand Canal. Ponte dell'Accademia is one of them connecting the neighborhoods of San Marco and Dorsoduro. It was originally built in 1854 and reconstructed twice to form the present structure. Though the bridge itself is not too great to look at, it affords magnificent views of gondolas and water taxis sailing through the Grand Canal and the play of sunlight creating myriad shadows on the surrounding red Venetian buildings. It is also a romantic spot and a popular destination with couples who wait to watch the awe-inspiring sunsets. Despite it being illegal, many couples attach talismans and love locks to the metallic rails of Ponte dell'Accademia as a symbol of eternal love.
A elegant and classic patrician villa, the gorgeous Villa Cornaro is well known Renaissance house in Piombino Dese. This structure was built somewhere between 1553- 1554 for the younger son of a wealthy man. Architect Andrea Palladio who was known for his Renaissance designs, was behind this creation. Presently the villa is conserved by the Italian government as a World Heritage Site.
This equestrian monument has been made by Donatello that with this statue in bronce celebrated Gattamelata, one of the most important leaders of the Repubblica Veneta. Has been erected between 1446 and 1453 and is placed in the Piazza del Santo. Ernesto Da Nardi, called Gattamelata, is been proposed on his horse, fierce and secure, withe the sticj of command on the right hand.
“Campo” means a “small square.” Campo San Zaccaria is situated in the Castello district of Venice and is a good place for some moments of peace and quiet. Although not well known, locals and tourists alike sometimes chance upon this square, which houses the church of San Zaccaria. Standing as a major attraction on the square, the white façade of this 15th-century church exhibits a blend of Renaissance and Gothic styles of architecture. The campo is also dotted by gelatarias, eateries, coffee shops, art galleries and shops. Head here if you wish to unwind after an engaging day spent roaming the Castello district.
Known to be the oldest structure on the Canal Grande, the Ca' da Mosto dates back to the 13th Century. The palace is beautifully designed in the Veneto-Byzantene style architecture. The palace is currently inhabitated as the basement is filled with the canal waters. However, the palace is historically significant as it has been home to the Holy Roman Emperor in the 18th Century.
One of the four bridges on the Grand Canal in Venice, Ponte degli Scalzi is one of the canal's important and frequented bridges. Built in 1934, this bridge was the creation of Eugenio Miozzi who designed this stone arch structure which replaced an older Austrian iron bridge. Before the inauguration of the fourth bridge, the Ponte degli Scalzi used to be closest to the bus station of the city, currently it is closest to the train station.
Horses of Saint Mark, which grace the front facade of the St. Mark’s Basilica in Venice, are majestic statues of horses which are four in number. The original sculptures, which date back to antiquity, have been removed from the facade and taken to a museum so as to conserve them. They are attributed to Lysippos, who was an ancient Greek sculptor of the Fourth Century BCE. The statues which are now in their place in the loggia are exact replicas of the originals.
Zecca of Venice is an impressive building situated in the exotic city of Venice in Italy. In bygone times, it used to house the government offices which were responsible for minting money. This 16th-century structure is constructed from Istrian marble, and features an ornate entry archway. This portal is adorned with a pair of sculptures of Telamon, which were sculpted by Girolamo Campagna. At present, this building is used to store the books which belong to a library named Biblioteca Marciana.
Venice is full of “campos” or “squares” that serve as a relief of open spaces dotting the vast landscape of buildings and houses. Campo Manin has been named after Daniele Manin who was a famous Italian patriot, revolutionary and statesman. He was born in a nearby house and a monument commemorating his achievements stands proudly in the middle of this square. The Campo Manin is surrounded by the canal on one side, whereas buildings dominate its other three borders. These buildings exhibit a range of architectural elements, from Gothic and Neo-Renaissance to Neo-Gothic and modern styles. The Hotel Centauro is also situated in close proximity.
The San Giovanni Elemosinario is an ancient church that dates back to circa 1071 AD.