Establece la posición actual
The renowned historian James Hardiman laid the foundation stone of the present St. Augustine church in August 1855. This neo-gothic church took four years to build and eventually opened its doors in September 1859. As you enter the church the Augustinian crest can be seen on the mosaic floor. It reads, in Latin, "Tolle Lege" which means "Take up and Read", and comes from a discussion with St. Augustine after he read Paul's letter to the Romans. Oak panelling surrounds the high altar and dates from 1855, although some alterations were made in the late 1960's and early 1970's. The tabernacle was enshrined and the stained glass window over the main altar was replaced. The ceiling was also reconstructed with cedar wood, although the ancient roof supports still remain. The organ is a magnificent focal point; it was constructed and installed by the famous Dublin organ builder, William Telford in 1868. Mass times are: 7p Saturdays and 9a, 11a, 12p and 6.30p Sundays.
A visitor to Galway in 1614 noted the city's prosperous appearance. He was especially struck by the elegant townhouses with finely cut stone facades, fortified with "faire battlement, in an uniform course". These houses would have been owned by Galway's leading merchant families, the "fourteen tribes of Galway". The Lynch family were one of the leading "tribes". Lynch's Castle (now an Allied Irish Bank) is one of the best examples of a 16th century townhouse. The finely cut stone lintels, coat of arms and fine stone fireplaces in the interior are well worth a look.
This church was built and dedicated to St. Nicholas, the patron saint of the traveler, in 1320. Following a successful petition to Pope Innocent VIII in 1484, the church was rendered collegiate and was controlled by a warden and eight vicars. The structure itself has been repeatedly rebuilt and renovated, and the tower wasn't built until the early 1500s. These changes were partly because this church changed hands a number of times between the Catholic and the Anglican communions. St. Nicholas' Church contains fine examples of Galway's medieval stone carvings, many of which are carved on the ornate tombs. This church is also renowned as the place where Christopher Columbus offered his last prayers before his epic journey to the New World. Services still take place here each Sunday.
Taibhdhearc Theatre was first leased from the Augustinian Fathers by Hilton Edwards. After being refurbished it opened its doors to audiences in August 1928 with a production of "Diarmuid and Gráinne" by Micheál MacLiammóir. Since this date Galway has had a theater which presents plays in the Irish language. The theater also regularly features regular musicals and opera. Many luminaries have appeared at the Taibhdhearc, including playwright and novelist Walter Macken, poet Máirtin Ó Direáin, distinguished actress Siobhán McKenna and actor Seán McClory.
Located in the old quarter of the city, this laneway has recently been restored to its former glory, using original stones. The windows and doorways overlooking the lane have been rebuilt in the style of the 17th century. It was here that Richard Martin built a 100-seater theater for his wife in 1783. The republican patriot Theobald Wolfe Tone was among those who acted here. However, Richard Martin lost his wife to an Englishman in 1791, and lost interest in the little theater soon after, allowing it to fall into disrepair. The Martin Crest can still be seen on a 17th century window at the far end of Kirwan's Lane.