Establece la posición actual
Dating from 1843, this is the oldest Episcopal parish church in Houston. Silas Mcbee's gothic-styled church, built in 1893, has outstanding brickwork and sandstone-topped parapets. The vast nave of dark-stained wood creates a commanding interior. The stained-glass window, called Caritas, was installed by Tiffany Studios and can be viewed on the side of the nave closest to Fannin Street. William Ward Watkin was the architect for the Golding Memorial Chapel that was added in 1939. The iron fence and palm trees in the area provide a lovely Victorian-influenced space for relaxing conversation.
The revival of this park area where the Allen brothers arrived over 150 years ago to start a new business venture has been exciting and stimulating for the downtown area. Surrounded by four primary streets (Travis, Milam, Congress and Preston), the area features restored historical buildings, fine restaurants, entertainment and nightclubs all within walking distance of each other. Lovely painted benches, artifacts and pictures line the walkways, combining the old with the new for all to enjoy. Different "points of view" can be discussed freely in a friendly atmosphere under the aptly named sculpture by James Surls.
In 1936, brothers John and Augustus Allen bought 6,642 areas of land and claimed Houston as their own. They settled down on the site that is now known as Allen's Landing, therefore it has great significance in the history and birth of Houston. Owing to its proximity to the White Oak Bayou and Buffalo Bayou, a dock was built and was operational for quite a long period. Over the time the area become somewhat neglected; however, the plans for its renovation are underway and after ts makeover, Allen's Landing will be equipped with beautiful walkways, lawns, a splendid promenade and several other facilities.
Those who appreciate the European decorative arts will eventually find their way to this mansion in the River Oaks district. Surrounded by beautiful gardens and tall trees on five acres (2.02 hectares), the mansion is elegantly furnished in the Italian, English and Roman styles. Although the estate is now part of the Museum of Fine Arts, it was originally owned by the local Masterson family who hired architect John F. Staub in the 1950s to design a modern version of an Italian country estate. The exhibits at this museum range from 17th and mid-19th Century artifacts that were originally part of the Mastersons' enviable art collection. Admittance is by reservation only. Call to schedule a guided, peaceful tour through a contemporary palace.
El Bayou Bend es la antigua residencia de Ima Hogg, un famoso filántropo. Los visitantes pueden pasear por casi seis hectáreas de bosques y jardines formales, o echar un vistazo a la casa que contiene 4800 obras de arte diversas. Este arte representa el estilo estadounidense desde la colonia hasta mediados del siglo XIX. La casa es un precioso museo típico de ese siglo. Por favor, tener en cuenta que los niños menores de diez años de edad pueden pasear por los jardines, pero no se les admite adentro.
En la mayoría de los campos de batalla no hay un buque de guerra, pero el Parque Histórico Estatal de San Jacinto es una clara excepción a la regla. Este majestuoso barco está atracado en el Canal Intracostero de Houston, en el borde del parque. Es el único sobreviviente de los acorazados de la Primera Guerra Mundial, y también sirvió como buque insignia en la invasión del Día D de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, en 1944. El presidente Eisenhower, nativo de Texas, presidió la ceremonia de inauguración, cuando se retiró la nave, y la Marina de los Estados Unidos la ha conservado y restaurado con orgullo en los años posteriores. Los visitantes están invitados a explorar la mayor parte de la nave. Hay tours disponibles, y en muchas zonas se muestran objetos y recuerdos de la vida de la nave.
San Jacinto State Historical Park is the battleground where Texas won its independence from Mexico in 1836. After the Alamo, General Santa Anna's large force chased Sam Houston's small army across Texas and was soundly defeated at this site. The centerpiece of the historic site is a majestic limestone and concrete obelisk known as the San Jacinto Monument that rises up to 570 feet (167.64 meters) above the coastal flatlands to pay tribute to the historical event. At the base of the monument you will find the acclaimed Museum of Texas History and the Jesse H. Jones Theater that screens the 35-minute movie named 'Texas Forever!! The Battle of San Jacinto' every day. The Battleship Texas is berthed in the ship channel at the edge of the park.