Together, with the Basilica di Sant'Antonio, Palazzo della Ragione is a symbol of the city. Built in 1288, it is called the Salone, or lounge, because of its large room with its wooden vaulted ceiling (destroyed and rebuilt many times over the centuries), making it the largest undivided hall in the world. The piazza and the bustling daily market are dominated by its loggia. It was a real layman's center in the city. Justice was carried out in the upper rooms, adorned with frescoes of astrological depictions (perhaps even by Giotto). If the sentence was serious, the accused would be taken to one of the local prisons. The building also houses a large wooden horse that Annibale Capodilista had made for a merry-go-round and then donated to the city. On the ground floor, traditional commercial activities took place, as they still do today.
One of the most prominent squares in Padua is Piazza dei Signori. Surrounded by medieval houses on all sides, this rectangular Piazza provides great insight into the Renaissance era architecture. However, the main attraction here is the clock tower, which can be called the crowning jewel of this famous square.
Prato della Valle is a square located in the city of Padova, Italy. Spread over a vast area of 90,000 meters (2,95,276 foot), the oval shaped square is the largest in the country. The square came into existence in the year 1635, when a temporary theater was built here. Thereafter, in the year 1775, the entire area was re-constructed to give the square it's current appearance. The square is beautifully designed with an island of grass in the center, surrounded by a ring of water. A total of 78 statues are placed at each side of the water ring. Today, the square forms an ideal meeting place with large number of people visiting the square to take a walk, skate or study. Festivals too are celebrated at the square.
La única plaza veneciana que ostenta el título de "Piazza", la Plaza de San Marcos, o Piazza San Marco como se la conoce localmente, es el centro político, religioso y social de la ciudad. La plaza se encuentra en uno de los extremos del Gran Canal y está rodeada de algunos de los edificios históricos más importantes de Venecia. La Basílica de San Marcos es el punto focal de la plaza: una iglesia veneciana-bizantina del siglo XII decorada con mosaicos dorados y tallados de diseño complejo. A cada lado se encuentran los Procuratie Vecchie, unos edificios imponentes donde en el pasado se encontraban las oficinas de los procuradores. Las dos columnas que representan a los santos patronos de la ciudad, San Marcos y San Teodoro de Amasea, se encuentran en las cercanías, y el resto del espacio de la plaza más grande de Venecia está dividido entre el Palacio Ducal, la inmensa torre Campanile, la Procuratie Nuove, la Biblioteca Nacional y algunos otros museos. Las distintas historias de la ciudad se entrelazan en la impresionante Plaza de San Marcos.
Las obras de construcción de esta iglesia comenzaron a fines del siglo XIV a pedido de los frailes dominicanos, y finalizaron a principios del siglo XV. En la actualidad, los restos de 25 magistrados descansan en esta iglesia que, con el paso del tiempo, ha ganado el status de basílica menor. Los monumentos sepulcrales están bajo el cuidado de la familia Lombardi y los monumentos de Nicolo Marcello, Pietro Lombardo y Pietro Mocenigo son tres obras maestras del mismo escultor, cuyas obras ocupan toda la parte izquierda de la entrada. Digno de mención es el imponente monumento erigido en honor a Andrea Vendramin y los cuadros de Veronese y Piazzetta. Una bella yuxtaposición de estilos arquitectónicos gótico y renacentista, Chiesa di Santi Giovanni e Paolo es un paraíso de paz y serenidad digno de ser visitado.
This abby is located in the center of the city and has been created in the VI century on the tomb of the saint Giustina. The abby and teh manstery have been closed by Napoleone in 1810 and then reopened in 1919. Is one of the biggest of the christianity. The dimensions are 122 meters long and 82 meters wide.
Padua Cathedral is a minor basilica church located in the city of Padua. The current church is the third one to be built in this spot, the first being a Gothic structure made in the year 313 and the second was one being a Romanesque structure built in 1117 when an earthquake destroyed the first one. The current church, which was built between the 16th and 18th Centuries, still has traces of the older models. For instance, the annex where the baptistery is situated has beautiful frescoes from the Romanesque church.