This quaint chapel is one of the most important historic sites in the city, and is home to what is considered one of the masterpieces of Giotto- a complex series of frescoes which are a marvel to behold. The frescoes were completed in 1305. The name of the chapel is the surname of the man who commissioned Giotto. The chapel is equipped with modern instruments that make for interactive tours. Reservations in order to visit the chapel are recommended.
This basilica, the most important of the city, has been dedicated to main saint of Padua, San Antonio. It was built 8 centuries ago and from then on, it became one of the most important spiritual places of the Christian world. Antonio chose Padua as his permanent home in the period in which he was travelling all over Italy. The church is owned by the Vatican and it houses the tongue of the saint, an important holy relic.
Together, with the Basilica di Sant'Antonio, Palazzo della Ragione is a symbol of the city. Built in 1288, it is called the Salone, or lounge, because of its large room with its wooden vaulted ceiling (destroyed and rebuilt many times over the centuries), making it the largest undivided hall in the world. The piazza and the bustling daily market are dominated by its loggia. It was a real layman's center in the city. Justice was carried out in the upper rooms, adorned with frescoes of astrological depictions (perhaps even by Giotto). If the sentence was serious, the accused would be taken to one of the local prisons. The building also houses a large wooden horse that Annibale Capodilista had made for a merry-go-round and then donated to the city. On the ground floor, traditional commercial activities took place, as they still do today.
Home to the university since the 16th Century, the building dates back to the same time, and was then renovated in the 20th Century. The best preserved area is the interior courtyard, with its porticoes decorated with coats of arms of the noble families, to which the students belonged. It housed the first anatomical theater in the world (1594) and the desk of Galileo Galilei, teacher of mathematics. Hours vary as per season.
One of the most prominent squares in Padua is Piazza dei Signori. Surrounded by medieval houses on all sides, this rectangular Piazza provides great insight into the Renaissance era architecture. However, the main attraction here is the clock tower, which can be called the crowning jewel of this famous square.
Prato della Valle is a square located in the city of Padova, Italy. Spread over a vast area of 90,000 meters (2,95,276 foot), the oval shaped square is the largest in the country. The square came into existence in the year 1635, when a temporary theater was built here. Thereafter, in the year 1775, the entire area was re-constructed to give the square it's current appearance. The square is beautifully designed with an island of grass in the center, surrounded by a ring of water. A total of 78 statues are placed at each side of the water ring. Today, the square forms an ideal meeting place with large number of people visiting the square to take a walk, skate or study. Festivals too are celebrated at the square.
Antenore, originally from Troya, following the legend, has been the founder of the city of Padua and is supposed that in this typical middle age tumb, are kepted his rests. The rest were discovered in 1274 and 1283 has been builded the monument to host them. In 1984 thanks to the scientific progress has been determined that the rest are probably the ones of an hungarian soldier dead during the invasions of the XI century, but the city is still loves it like the tumb of the ancestor.
The original structure of the Zabbatella Palace, that nowadays is also the location of the Fondazione Bano, dates back at the VIII century B.C. During the centuries the central structure remain nearly untouched while the front side has been adapted and changed according to the different styles of the different ages. After quite ten years of restoration opened his door to the communitiy in 1996 and the masterpiece are the frescos of the painter Hayez who spent in Padua his youngest years. The name of the palace derived from the family Zabbarella, till 1846 the owner of the palace. The interiors are equipped with original furnitures of the 18-19th century. It hosts expositions, a temporary shop
The gallery is dedicated to the promotion and diffusion of young talents in the contemporary sculpture and paintings. Is also well provided of designer's pieces. Each week there is a new vernissage and is it strongly involved in all the most important art fairs in the world. Through the web site is possible to accede to the pieces on sale, all provided with certificates of authenticity.