This basilica, the most important of the city, has been dedicated to main saint of Padua, San Antonio. It was built 8 centuries ago and from then on, it became one of the most important spiritual places of the Christian world. Antonio chose Padua as his permanent home in the period in which he was travelling all over Italy. The church is owned by the Vatican and it houses the tongue of the saint, an important holy relic.
Together, with the Basilica di Sant'Antonio, Palazzo della Ragione is a symbol of the city. Built in 1288, it is called the Salone, or lounge, because of its large room with its wooden vaulted ceiling (destroyed and rebuilt many times over the centuries), making it the largest undivided hall in the world. The piazza and the bustling daily market are dominated by its loggia. It was a real layman's center in the city. Justice was carried out in the upper rooms, adorned with frescoes of astrological depictions (perhaps even by Giotto). If the sentence was serious, the accused would be taken to one of the local prisons. The building also houses a large wooden horse that Annibale Capodilista had made for a merry-go-round and then donated to the city. On the ground floor, traditional commercial activities took place, as they still do today.
Home to the university since the 16th Century, the building dates back to the same time, and was then renovated in the 20th Century. The best preserved area is the interior courtyard, with its porticoes decorated with coats of arms of the noble families, to which the students belonged. It housed the first anatomical theater in the world (1594) and the desk of Galileo Galilei, teacher of mathematics. Hours vary as per season.
One of the most prominent squares in Padua is Piazza dei Signori. Surrounded by medieval houses on all sides, this rectangular Piazza provides great insight into the Renaissance era architecture. However, the main attraction here is the clock tower, which can be called the crowning jewel of this famous square.
Prato della Valle is a square located in the city of Padova, Italy. Spread over a vast area of 90,000 meters (2,95,276 foot), the oval shaped square is the largest in the country. The square came into existence in the year 1635, when a temporary theater was built here. Thereafter, in the year 1775, the entire area was re-constructed to give the square it's current appearance. The square is beautifully designed with an island of grass in the center, surrounded by a ring of water. A total of 78 statues are placed at each side of the water ring. Today, the square forms an ideal meeting place with large number of people visiting the square to take a walk, skate or study. Festivals too are celebrated at the square.
Palazzo Zuckermann is one of the most famous palaces in the city of Padua. It was built during the years 1912 and 1914, in an era which demanded a new urban planning of the city, in order to give the city a more monumental aspect. The name comes from the last name of the man who commissioned the structure, in a XIXth century style, with a liberty front, and it hosts in its courtyard the old walls of the city. Nowadays it is the seat of two museums: the Museo Bottacin and the Museum of Applied and Decorative Arts.
The gallery is dedicated to the promotion and diffusion of young talents in the contemporary sculpture and paintings. Is also well provided of designer's pieces. Each week there is a new vernissage and is it strongly involved in all the most important art fairs in the world. Through the web site is possible to accede to the pieces on sale, all provided with certificates of authenticity.
This museum is dedicated to the study of the science of education, that already at the end of the XIX century was gaininig importance in teh University of Padua. The museum counts on a very extensive archive of documents and texts dedicated to this discipline but also toys, furnitures that were used in the schools. It hosts frequently seminars and conferences and it partipates to the ones organized all over Italy. It's open for guided tours for school and public in general.
Located at the historic center of Padua; Diocesan museum of Padua is located within a two storied 15th century building. The Hall of St. Gregory Barbarigo is on the first floor which has on display various sacred archives and historical documents of the diocese. The second floor is completely occupied by the The salon of the bishops and chapel of St. Mary of the Angels which has many frescoes and sacred pieces of art on display which dates back to as far as the 9th century. There are various liturgical vestments and ancient sculptures to add on to the collection. All the artifacts in the museum are arranged in a chronological order. The museum is of great significance as it gives a brief glimpse of the religious and the general history of Padua.