A contemporary art gallery, Augeo Art Space is known for offering emerging artists a platform to develop and showcase their talents. Not only does the gallery offer emerging artists a residency program in order to hone their talents but works by artists like Diego Cibelli, Irene Kung and Francesco Zavatta have also been held here. Besides this, the gallery also hosts exhibitions by emerging and established artists. If you want to check out the local art scene along with works by a few international artists, then head to Augeo Art Space for a great time.
The bridge connects the end of Corso Augusto (Old Rimini's main road) with Borgo San Giuliano. San Giuliano is a medieval village which has numerous frescos with interesting murals of the life and works of Federico Fellini. The bridge was built over the River Marecchia ordered by Emperor Augustus. Its actual construction took place under his successor Tiberius (14-21 CE). It is an impressive work of architecture and it is one of the best preserved bridges from the Roman period. It was built entirely with stone from Istri. The bridge has five arches and is in doric style. It represents a splendid example of the technical expertise of the Romans; they built the bridge without separating the foundations of the individual pillars thus creating a unique structure that is still being used to this day. Tiberius' Bridge became a national monument in 1885.
Located beside Piazza Ferrari, the City Museum displays in more than 700 works of Rimini's 2000 years of history in 40 different galleries. The exhibition building has ancient origins itself: having been built in the 18th Century as Jesuit monastery, it was used as a hospital, first military and then civilian. In the inner courtyard there is an epigraph collection of about one hundred Roman inscription which, together with a splendid exhibit of mosaics, constitutes an important part of the archeological nucleus. On the first floor there are frescoes, ceramics and paintings on wood from the 15th and 16th Centuries that tell the story of Renaissance art, amongst them Giovanni Bellini's famous Pietà. On the second floor art and sculpture produced in Rimini between the 17th and 19th Centuries are on display and the works of local artist Guido Cagnacci can also be found.
Within this modern structure about 200 pieces tell us the whole story of the motorcycle starting from the pioneers period and the first motor-cycle ever, the French Werner, followed by the Italian Frera and Stucchi, all dating back to the beginning of the last Century. Fabulous Guzzi models document the production of the World War inter-period. A special section in the Museum is dedicated to both Italian and foreign sidecars that left a significant mark toward the family transport. Foreign guest stars of the Museum are the English Norton, Sunbeam, Rudge and Scott along with the American Harley Davidson, Indian and the wonderful four-cylinder Henderson. Marvellous scooters like Lambretta and Vespa and some rare models manufactured by Ducati, Cruiser and Piatti are worthy of a look too. Those who want to restore their models accurately can also consult a well-furnished library containing over 10,000 original volumes. The museum is closed on Mondays, do check the website for more information.
This is considered one of the most honorable most works of the Renaissance. In reality the works for the construction of this amazing monument were based on the preceding structure of the 14th Century Romanesque-Gothic church of San Francesco. Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta began the work in 1449: the architectural part was entrusted to Matteo de' Pasti, the sculpture was the domain of Agostino di Duccio and the external architecture was the work of Leon Battistia Alberti. The architect planned a new concept in marble recladding, getting rid of all Gothic design and each decorative accent, and drawing on inspiration from the Roman Arco d'Augusto instead. The majestic façade inspired by classic Renaissance forms, even if it remains unfinished in the upper part, it is distinguished from the internal, creating an architectural contrast. One of its six inside chapels, la Cappella degli Antenati housed the Arca degli Antenati dei Discendenti work of Agostino di Duccio in which Sigismondo wanted to have united the of his ancestors and the ancient of the Casata. Giotto's crucifix of 1312 is in the temple and in the Capella delle Reliquie you can see the fresco of Piero della Francesca (1451) of Sigismondo kneeling in front of Saint Sigismondo.
The Arch of Augustus is a city-gate built in 27 BCE and is one of the oldest surviving Roman arches. The structure is unusually large compared to other Roman arches, which has lead some historians to believe the gate was not meant to be easily closed so it wasn't used for defense. This arch is featured on Rimini's coat of arms, making it an important city icon.
The Cathedral of Santa Colomba (St Columba) was built over a temple dedicated to Hercules. The Cathedral was consecrated in 1154 and dedicated to the French martyr, worshipped in the area. After a number of restoration works during the Middle Ages, the building became the center around which daily life revolved and its architecture made it the most prestigious building in the district. The earthquake of 1672 brought the old building down and what is seen today are the remains, which include the 12th Century belltower built to house the Sacristy. The form and style were Romanesque: the superb base of the red brick belltower with pointed windows, and the terracotta coping with intertwining arches are indications of the construction's beauty and majesty. Of the Cathedral today there is only the belltower around which a building has been constructed that houses "La Colomba" restaurant.
Piazza Malatesta is an inextricable part of Rimini's charm. Albeit a little off the city center, it is worth the short commute as it's an address to the beautiful Castel Sismondo and many other interesting spots. The vast Piazza Malatesta is used for several local events and it is immaculately transformed into an open-air venue for major concerts. Peppered with eateries and shopping places, one simply cannot leave out a visit to Piazza Malatesta when in Rimini.
It is almost true to say that every time someone digs down in the city center, the architectural remains of something are found. For example, traces of a splendid imperial Roman house have been discovered in Via Sigismondo near the Chamber of Commerce. The ruins of walls and a Roman gate were found within Castel Sigismondo in Piazza Malatesta where the Dinz Rialto Museum of Non-European Cultures is now housed. Other Roman findings came to light during the reconstruction of the Tiberio Cinema that stands next to the church of Borgo San Giuliano in Via Tiberio. Recent paving work in Piazza Tre Martiti and Via IV Novembre led to the discovery of either a Roman temple or basilica, then the remains of a fountain and two crescent shaped communicating tanks. Photographic documentation can be seen at the City Museum where you can also make an appointment to see the actual excavations.
Little remains of the castle built by Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta in 1437; today's visitor will see only a small part of the great fortification on the Piazza Malatesta, but the construction still has its large square towers and solid walls. The original plans were that the castle should look like a fort dominated by a large keep and surrounded by a deep dyke with drawbridges. It served as a prison under the rule of the papacy, then again during the bombardments of the last war.
Set in the complex of a former convent whose church dates back to 1256, Teatro degli Atti is nothing less than an amalgamation of culture and history. The theater was majorly used for showcasing Italian movies at one point, however it solely focuses on performing arts now. From plays, musicals to solo performances and more, Teatro degli Atti is the place to catch them all.