Establece la posición actual
Mary McLeod Bethune, a noted teacher and political leader, lived in this house from 1943 until her death in 1955. She served as director of the Division of Negro Affairs under Franklin Roosevelt and was an advisor to three other U.S. presidents. The house was the original headquarters for the National Council of Negro Women. Founded by Bethune, the group sought to promote women in society and eliminate all forms of discrimination. Today, the home is a museum dedicated to Bethune and all American black women. A large collection of writings, artwork, photographs and memorabilia are on display. Donations accepted.
Farragut es el epicentro de Washington DC, así que no hay que sorprenderse al ver a un montón de gente de aspecto serio caminando por aquí. La plaza, sin embargo, está llena de un ambiente animado, donde los visitantes pueden disfrutar de los sonidos de los músicos de la calle en verano. Los jueves de los meses de verano, la plaza alberga jazz gratis a la hora del almuerzo. En medio de la plaza, se encuentra una estatua del almirante de la Guerra Civil, David Farragut. Farragut acuñó la frase "¡A toda máquina!", durante la Batalla de la bahía de Mobile, Alabama.
To provide a glimpse into how one of the top U.S. newspapers is produced, The Washington Post offers a weekly 45-minute tour. Printing technology from before the computer age is demonstrated in a museum, along with a brief history of this well-respected news organization. The tour highlights all the major stages of newspaper production, from newsroom mayhem to the intricacies of the giant presses. Call one to two months in advance to register for tours. Visitors must be 11 years or older.
House of the Temple is considered to be one of the most beautiful monuments in the city. The Masonic shrine was designed by John Russell Pope The museum standing at a height of 130 feet (39.62 meters) is devoted to Albert Pike and also displays artifacts from Robert Burns and J. Edgar Hoover. Of particular interest is the main reading room of the library, which features antique two-story ladders, a vast selection of material and heavy cushioned chairs for reading and relaxation.
Because of its close proximity to the White House, St John's has become known as the "Church of the Presidents." In fact, since its establishment in 1815, every chief executive has attended services here; some on a regular basis. Pew 54 has been designated the "Presidents Pew." It was designed by Henry LaTrobe, who also did the restoration of the U.S. Capitol and White House after the War of 1812. In the 1870s, the plain glass windows were gradually replaced with exquisitely crafted stained glass depicting presidents and other notable parishioners.