Duomo Santa Maria Matricolare was erected on the site of the pre-existing Christian church after the earthquake of 1117. In 1444, major renovation and enlargement work took place on the Roman building, as promised by the Scaligeri in the last years of their rule. Buttresses were added, as well as chapels along the building's perimeter. The influences of various different periods are visible on the façade of the building: the monumental Roman gateway with double arches by Nicolò (1139), the Gothic elements and the final, Renaissance additions. The interior is divided into three naves with pilasters in red marble, holding up ogival arches and cross-vaults with four chapels on each side and a presbytery closed off by a semi-circular door.
Verona's Studio la Città has been around since 1969, proudly displaying modern classics by a variety of artists. The gallery moved to a larger location in 2007, allowing it space to expand the scope of its offerings to include concerts, performances and more. Visit the website to see its full program.
The city of Verona has many interesting sites that a tourist cannot simply miss out on. The best way to ensure that you visit all these interesting places is to take a guided tour arranged by Veronality. They offer guided tours of the city, depending upon what interests you the most. Take a bike tour and enjoy the riverside, beautiful trails, and natural beauty of the city. The walking tour is nothing short of fun as well. Oenophiles should definitely take up the wine tasting tour of the city. Their expert guides will make sure that your experience is full of intrigue and amusement.
The central Piazza delle Erbe was the focal point of urban life in ancient Verona. It is located on the site of the ancient Roman Forum. Originally it was large (56 meters x 68 meters) and rectangular and then it was adapted to a Medieval shape and reduced in size. It was then delimited by the construction of the Palazzo del Comune. During the Scaligera period, it became a center for trade and commerce; to this end, various symbolic elements were added, such as the Fountain of the Madonna Verona, the Market Column (a Gothic structure built in 1401 to bear the viscount's insignia), the berlina (a marble canopy built to host the investiture of public office) and the Colonna di San Marco.
No one going to Verona could possibly justify missing out a visit to this Romanesque church which epitomizes the city: San Zeno Maggiore. On the left it is bordered by the battlemented, brick abbatial tower, on the right by the striped brick and tuff bell tower with three-mullioned windows and conic pinnacles. The church dominates the entire square. The original structure of the church dates back to the 12th century. It was built over pre-existing buildings. It was enlarged between 1120-1138 after the earthquake of 1117, with the addition of a tufa span on the West. At the end of the 13th Century the main nave was raised higher, the roof was finished, and the apse and cloisters were renovated. The salient façade is made of tuff, it is divided by thin pilaster strips, with a triangular pediment crossed by a gallery of mullioned windows with two lights in red marble. At the center is the "Wheel of Fortune", the large rosette dating back to the 13th century. The portal was built by Nicolò in 1138. Scenes of Saint Zeno's life and miracles are painted in the lunette, while wooden scenes from the Old and New Testament are depicted in the 48 panels.
Located outside the Verona city walls, this historic Roman amphitheater was built in the first half of the first century. It was designed to accommodate more than 30,000 spectators and hosted many number of events over the years, among them plays, battles, games, and even jousting competitions during the Middle Ages. Today, the excellent acoustics and sheer size of the Verona Arena lend themselves to grandiose operatic performances. In 1913, the amphitheater staged Verdi's Aida in honor of the Italian composer's 100th birthday, its first production of the 20th century. At once a grand venue and an ancient architectural jewel, the Verona Arena should certainly not be missed, be it for a night on the town or a cultural day tour.
The Teatro Filarmonico was started in 1605 by Domenico Curtoni. His design was obviously Palladian in inspiration and was originally in the form of a semicircle with an open gallery in wood. The majestic façade with its columns was erected in 1608, and the reception (now the theater's foyer) in 1612. In 1770 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart performed here; he was only 14 at the time. The form of the building that you see today was completed in 1729. A fire destroyed much of it in 1749, while in 1945 it was hit and damaged by bombs; it was rebuilt in 1969.
Il Lapidario, one of the oldest public museums in Europe, was established in 1714, thanks to the work of the Marquis Scipione Maffei, a well-known man of culture, of Veronese origin. The origin nucleus of the museum can be found in the small space between the old walls that join Piazza Bra with Castelvecchio, made up of thirty of the Nichesola family's roman marbles collected by the philharmonic academy and displayed in the courtyard opposite the building. Subsequently, Maffei, after obtaining permission from the Venetian state, increased the collection to over two hundred valuable marble statues. It is widely believed that the Marquis was not averse to robbing a few tombs in order to decorate the rooms of the museum.
This restaurant is a favorite with Verona's night owls: it is open until the small hours when all the city's other restaurants have closed. As well as trying out the selection of beers and other beverages, you can also have a hearty meal in the restaurant which is adjacent to the bar. There are plenty of tables available, and in the summer, it is possible to sit outside.
Castelvecchio was founded in the mid 14th century at the behest of Cangrande II della Scala, as a princely residence with fortress, and was called Castle of San Martino in Aquaro because it incorporated a small church dedicated to the saint. Around the beginning of the 15th century, after the viscounts built two forts on the hills (St. Peter and St. Felix), it acquired its current name. Over the centuries, it continued to have military functions - with the domination of Venice, it was the seat of an academy; with Napoleon, two new wings were added to the building. Then, with the Austrians, it played a strategic role in the general plan of fortification of Verona. In the 1920s, Verona municipality decided to move its medieval and modern art sections of the Civic Museum to Castelvecchio. The present layout of the building and its exhibitions are the result of a major rehabilitation and construction, between 1956 and 1964, by the architect Carlo Scarpa.