Set Current Location
The statue of Padraic O'Conaire (1882-1928) stands in J.F.K. Memorial Park, and was sculpted by Albert Power. Padraic O'Conaire, one of Galway's great writers, returned to the city in 1914 after finishing his education in Blackrock College, Dublin. He travelled the roads of Galway with his donkey and cart looking for material to put in his work, and would teach and tell stories on his travels. He died in a Dublin hospital in 1928. Padraic O'Conaire was one of the initiators of the Irish Literary Revival and is regarded as one of the finest Irish short story writers of the last century.
These black iron cannons were brought back to Galway from the Crimean War(1854-56) and were presented to the Connaught Rangers in recognition of their military achievements during the war. The Rangers were involved in the Alma Valley battles in 1854, during which campaign they captured the Crimean town of Burlyuk. These majestic pieces of armoury stand silent now in Eyre Square.
Ireland is famous for not only its beautiful and natural sights, but for its rich whiskey too. Galway Whiskey Tasting Tours is a guide to exploring types of whiskeys in Ireland. Galway, the city offers few of the most iconic and historic pubs of the country. The special tours are the Whiskey Tasting Evenings and Historic Pub Trail. An amazing way to spend the weekend with a group of friends or colleagues, and to unwind from an entire week of hard work for some fun and laughter.
Originally called the "Fair Green," in 1710 Mayor Edward Eyre, who had inherited this area of land from his father, donated it to the city. The square named in the former mayor's honor is in the heart of Galway city and is one of its largest open spaces. In the center of the square is the John F. Kennedy Memorial commemorating the president's visit in 1963. It was here that the president addressed the people of Galway and there is a bronze plaque commemorating his visit. In fact, the square was officially renamed in his honor, but locals continue to call it by its more popular name.
This Franciscan Friary, colloquially known as "The Abbey", was originally founded in 1296 on St. Stephen's Island. In 1438, Pope Eugenius IV was so impressed with the Friary that he decreed a school for advanced theological study to be established at the Friary in Galway. The old church became a courthouse in the 1600's and in 1820 the present friary was built, although it was not consecrated until 1849. The "Abbey" was extensively refurbished in 1997-98 and today five Friars serve the community as well as providing church services. The Friars also act as Chaplains to the local schools.
Taibhdhearc Theatre was first leased from the Augustinian Fathers by Hilton Edwards. After being refurbished it opened its doors to audiences in August 1928 with a production of "Diarmuid and Gráinne" by Micheál MacLiammóir. Since this date Galway has had a theater which presents plays in the Irish language. The theater also regularly features regular musicals and opera. Many luminaries have appeared at the Taibhdhearc, including playwright and novelist Walter Macken, poet Máirtin Ó Direáin, distinguished actress Siobhán McKenna and actor Seán McClory.